Practicum Placements - Master of Education in Counseling
All students applying for Practicum must do so with the practicum coordinators one semester prior to working at an approved site. Students are advised to watch the program ListServ for application deadlines. All students need to meet with the coordinators and to prepare a professional resume in order to interview with prospective sites.
Students complete two semesters of practicum for a total of 330 hours (100 must be direct service). Students select sites and work at these sites for 12-16 hours per week. Students must enroll in three hours of practicum class each semester in which they are completing their practicum hours.
For the school counseling track, the practicum placement must be in a school district.
Students enrolling in practicum will have completed these courses:
- PHLS 6315 Career Counseling (if planning on going to a college counseling center)
- PHLS 6325 Theories of Counseling
- PHLS 6335 Group Counseling
- PHLS 6343 Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling (or PSYC 7326)
- PHLS 6345 Atypical Growth and Behavior
- PHLS 6391 Introductory Lab in Counseling Process
Students are also encouraged to take courses in Family Counseling and Assessment before practicum, depending on the site chosen. The following is a partial list of institutions and organizations that have provided opportunities for students to complete their practicum requirements:
|Organizations and Institutions|