Fire Marshal's Office
Texas Learning and Computational Center, Building 106, Second Floor
Dock 17 General Services Building, Room 183 713-743-1635 Fire Marshal's Office, a unit of the Department of Public Safety, functions together with Environmental Health and Life Safety. FMO supports prevention, planning and response. Everyone on campus has a responsibility to prevent fires and injuries, to plan for emergencies, and to respond according to the emergency plan.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Using UL or F.M. labeled appliances and power strips with built-in fuses or circuit breakers.
- Contacting the Fire Marshal's office regarding the use of items with open flames.
- Reporting blocked exit paths, improper storage, smoking in buildings, and physical safety hazards.
- Becoming familiar with at least two exits other than elevators in buildings that one frequents.
- Knowing the location and operation of the fire alarm system.
- Evacuating a building when the alarm is sounding or when advised to do so.
- Calling 911 for fire, medical and police emergencies.
Distribution of Food on Campus
Food and beverage may be sold or distributed on campus only through registered student organizations and university departments. The sponsoring group must secure a Temporary Food Dealer's Permit from the Department of Public Safety Fire Marshal's Office, General Service Building, 4211 Elgin Street, Building 585, Dock 17, Room 183. Phone: 713-743-1635
When securing a temporary food dealer's permit from the Fire Marshal's Office, registered student organizations must provide a site reservation confirmation from the UC or College where the event will be held. This approved permit must then be submitted to the UC Conference and Reservation Services (CARS) Office prior to receiving confirmation for an event. An organization may conduct a food or beverage sale no more than twice a month.