The purpose of the Smoking Policy is to:
a. Protect from unwanted smoke any member of the UH campus community or visitor who seeks to study, work, socialize or attend public events; and
b. Protect life and property where smoking would present a safety and/or fire hazard.
To "smoke" and "smoking" means creating smoke by lighting a cigarette, cigar, pipe or other smoking product; it means as well puffing on, carrying or holding a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe or other tobacco product.
a. Smoking is hereby prohibited inside all facilities and vehicles owned or leased by the University of Houston, regardless of location (except as noted in Section C below).
b. Smoking is also prohibited in the following outdoor areas:
1. Every university-owned or -leased motor vehicle.
2. Every university-owned or -leased outdoor area in which smoking would present a fire or safety risk.
3. Every University-owned or leased outdoor stadium or event area where spectators and/or participants are crowded together.
4. Within 15 feet of any entrance to every building on campus.
c. The exceptions to the Smoking Policy are as follows:
1. Leased public facilities where a government smoking ordinance or regulation shall govern.
2. The Conrad N. Hilton Hotel on campus where specific areas shall be clearly designated smoking and non-smoking according to a plan approved by the president or his or her designee.
3. Smoking is permitted by artists or actors who require smoke as part of artistic productions and by participants in academic research projects involving smoking, if approved by the President or his or her designee.
4. The President has the option to designate additional temporary smoking space as he or she deems appropriate.
5. The sale of cigarettes, cigars and pipes is prohibited on campus, with the exception that such items may be sold by the University or those with whom it contracts at the Conrad N. Hilton Hotel, the University Center and its Satellite.
Students who violate this policy shall be subject to discipline under the university's student life or residential life disciplinary procedures as set forth in the Student Handbook. Persons who smoke in areas where smoking is prohibited by state law (i.e., an elevator, enclosed theater or movie house, library, hospital or transit system bus) are subject to fines not to exceed $500 (Texas Penal Code, Section 48.01).
Title IX Grievances and Other Discrimination Complaints
The University of Houston prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, orveteran status except where such distinction is allowed by law. Additionally, the University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. The University of Houston's Title IX Grievances and Other Discrimination Complaints is the process by which students may file discrimination grievances on the basis mentioned above. The procedure does not replace the Interim Sexual Harassment Policy, which shall be utilized for all sexual harassment complaints.
For the complete Title IX Grievances and Other Discrimination Complaints Policy, please visit the Office of Affirmative Action/EEO's website at www.uh.edu/ogc/oaa/aaeeo-policies.html or call 713-743-8835.