Complaint Resolution for Students

The U.S. Department of Education (U.S. DOE) released new regulations regarding distance education in October 2010. One of the new regulations focuses on the need for institutions offering distance education to acquire authorization from any state where the institution has currently enrolled students. As the details regarding this regulation continue to be clarified, the UH is in the process of gaining authorization from other states.

As part of this process as well as to satisfy additional U.S. DOE requirements , UH is required to provide current and prospective students with the following information regarding the filing of complaints.

1. For complaints regarding grades, course requirements and course procedures follow the University of Houston Undergraduate [] (see page 16) or Graduate [] grievance policies.

2. If an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board ("THECB") by sending the required forms either by electronic mail to, or by mail to THECB, Office of General Counsel, P.O. Box 12788, Austin, Texas 78711-2788. See

3. University of Houston is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). The SACS site provides complaint procedures against the commission or its accredited institutions [].

For questions concerning the complaint process or the new U.S. DOE regulations affecting distance education, please contact UH Distance Education at or 713-743-3327.