Study Abroad and Study Abroad Scholarships
Office of International STUDies and programs (OISP)
501 E Cullen
Interested students have a wide variety of resources available to assist them with the study abroad experience. There are five types of study abroad programs:
(1) Faculty-Led Programs are led by faculty from different colleges who visit countries and universities in China, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Spain, and India;
(2) Affiliated Programs are offered by UH through approved third party providers such as USAC (University Study Abroad Consortium), CEA (Cultural Experiences Abroad), ISA (International Studies Abroad) and many others. Students can also do an independant study at any university in the world if the course is approved by the department or college;
(3) Exchange Programs are reciprocal exchanges between students and, UH executes them after a Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between the two universities. UH has active exchange programs with the University of Leipzig, University of Muenster, Tee De Monterrey, Hong Kong University, Symbiosis International University and many others.
(4) Special Programs are programs specially designed to assist students complete their Spanish language requirements during the 3 week break between semesters.
(5) Visiting International Studies Program (VISP) is a program offered by UH to any student studying in the United States who wishes to study abroad through the study abroad programs offered by the University of Houston. They will receive UH credits which can be transferred back to their university.
In addition, materials are distributed twice a year in the Study Abroad Fairs held in February and September. The Office of International Studies and Programs (501 E Cullen) also maintains a resource Center with information on programs and countries. Study abroad advisors are available to give advice and assist in the process. All students going on overseas programs should make plans early in their college careers (i.e., freshman year or soon thereafter) and must register with the Office of International Studies and Programs. Students interested in UH faculty-led programs should also apply to the individual program with the designated faculty at the different departments and colleges.
Study Abroad Scholarships
Scholarship opportunities are available for students studying abroad. International Education Fee Scholarship (IEFS) competitions are held each fall (November 1) and spring (March 1) and are awarded for the following two terms, including summer terms. This initiative, which was begun by students to promote study abroad and to assist students in their efforts to incorporate international study into their academic experience, was subsequently approved by the Texas Legislature for all Texas universities.
The scholarships are funded by the student body through a $1 per semester fee added to students' fee bills. IEFS applications may be obtained from the wwb at www.uh.edu/studyabroad/scholarships. For more information, please visit the OISP office located at 501 E Cullen Bldg, Room 501F.
• International Studies and Programs Offices (501F E Cullen)
• College Deans' Offices
• Dean of Students (252 University Center)
• Student Information and Assistance Center (125 University Center)
• International Student and Scholar Services (306 Student Services Center)
• Undergraduate Studies (209 E Cullen)
• Vice President for Student Affairs (114 E Cullen)
• Scholarships and Financial Aid Office 120 Welcome Center
• International Admissions (120 Welcome Center)