Affirm LGBTQ Ally Leadership Program
Co-Sponsored by LeadUH and the LGBTQ Resource Center
In partnership with the Center for Student Involvement LeadUH program, LGBTQ Resource Center offers an ally leadership program, for all students. The program provides engaging workshops and programs that increase students’ knowledge and understanding of the lives of LGBTQ people. Students will also gain skills in how to be an effective ally to the LGBTQ community. Improvement in these areas enhance students’ ability to effectively engage and work with diverse populations. Upon completion, students will earn an AFFIRM LGBTQ Ally Leadership Certificate.
- Participants will be able to apply basic LGBTQ related terms and concepts.
- Participants will gain an understanding of marginalized gender and sexual identities, including heterosexual privilege, discrimination, and inclusive practices.
- Participants will be able to implement basic support to LGBTQ individuals.
- Participants will be able to access resources that support their role as an ally.
- Participants will be able to advocate on campus and in the community to create LGBTQ affirming spaces.
Level I Introductory
AFFIRM LGBTQ Ally Leadership Certificate
Core Course (Required):
Participants must complete two electives from the following options. Workshops cannot be repeated for multiple credits.
- LGBTQ Awareness
- Transgender 101
- Ally 2.0 Workshops
- Inclusive Language by Center for Diversity and Inclusion
- Introduction to GLBT Studies Course
- LGBTQ Resource Center’s Events
- Gender Infinity Conference, 10/5/18 and 10/6/18, All Day, Student Center South
- Sexuality Conference 10/12/18, 9:00 – 4:00pm, Student Center South; Space City Room
- Coming Out Monologues, 10/23/18, 6:30pm, Student Center Theater
Awareness Day Volunteering 2 – 3 hours
Tabling or volunteering at one Awareness event. See samples below. Contact Lorraine Schroeder email@example.com at the LGBTQ Resource Center (at least two weeks prior is preferred) for details. You will be paired with a LGBTQ Resource Center staff who will provide training. Exact volunteer dates are in bold.
- International Pronoun Day (9/17/18)
- Bisexuality Awareness (9/24/18)
- Ally Week (Around the last week of September)
- Spirit Day (10/15)
- Asexual Awareness (10/17/18)
- Intersex Awareness Day (10/30/18)
- Transgender Awareness Week (11/8/18)
Answer the following prompts in a Word document and email to Lorraine Schroeder at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- List and define two new terms you learned.
- Explain two ways in which you can be inclusive of or create welcoming environments for the LGBTQ community.
- Share something new that you learned about or realized from the workshops or events you attended. (50 word minimum)
- Discuss something you learned about or realized from tabling or volunteering. (50 word minimum)
- Articulate how your new knowledge will benefit you as a leader or in your career. (100 word minimum)