Test Administration Policy and Procedure
- The Center for Students with DisABILITIES (CSD) works to ensure that appropriate testing accommodations are provided for students who have registered with CSD and who are eligible for such accommodations.
- It is the student's responsibility to provide a copy of their approved Student Accommodation Form (SAF) to their instructors, and to request recommended exam accommodations. Students should ask their instructor(s) to complete the instructor portion of the Request for Individualized Testing Accommodations (RITA) Form if the student and the instructor agree that exam administration will take place at CSD, and return a copy of this form to CSD according to instructions. CSD may not administer exams without this signed form.
- It is the instructor's responsibility to notify CSD of the scheduled time and date for each student's exam. Whenever possible, quizzes and exams should be scheduled at least three days in advance. A minimum notice of 24 hours is required for any exam that CSD will be responsible for picking up. Instructors may fax or e-mail exams with less than 24 hours notice, but advance notice is requested in order to ensure that testing accommodations can be arranged.
- Students are expected to schedule their exams with CSD on the same day and time the exam is scheduled for the class. If an extended time accommodation makes this impossible, the instructor will choose another appropriate day/time for the student to take the exam.
- Exams are administered during CSD office hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday (summer months). Office hours are extended during the fall and spring semesters to 7 p.m. on Mondays and Tuesdays. Occasionally students taking an exam earlier in the day for an evening class will be required to remain in CSD until after the class has started. Instructors will be informed of the time a student starts and turns in a test.
- Only students who are registered with CSD and are authorized by their instructors to take their exams at CSD will be allowed in the testing rooms. Students may be required to present a picture ID prior to being issued their exam.
- Students are required to return their exam to the receptionist if they leave the testing rooms for any reason during and at the end of the exam. If a student is found with an exam in their possession outside of the testing rooms, their instructor will be notified, and the exam may be confiscated.
- Students are responsible for rescheduling an exam with their instructor if they cannot take it at the designated time. Exams that are not taken when originally scheduled will be returned within two working days to the instructor or respective department unless CSD receives notification from the instructor that another test date and time has been arranged.
- Students are expected to be on time for their exams. If a student is more than 15 minutes late for an exam they will need to either obtain the instructor's permission to start it late, or reschedule it with their instructor.
- All backpacks, purses, books, notes, calculator covers, cell phones, flashdrives, laptops, and other personal belongings must be left in the CSD reception area or lockers before exams will be administered. CSD cannot be responsible for purses and/or valuables. If a student has an unauthorized item in their possession in a testing room the item may be confiscated, their instructor may be notified, and the item(s) will be turned over to the instructor.
- All scratch paper used during an exam will be supplied by CSD unless otherwise provided by the instructor. Any scratch paper or other materials used during an exam will be collected and returned to the instructor with the exam.
- CSD requires instructor approval regarding the use of any note cards, tables, charts, books, calculators, or other materials during an exam. When such verification cannot be obtained directly from the instructor, the student may be allowed to proceed with such assistive materials, all of which are subject to inspection by the CSD staff. A photocopy of any notes or papers a student has with them during an exam will be attached to the exam and submitted to the instructor. A note will be included with the exam, informing the instructor of the material(s) a student used during an exam.
- Food is prohibited in the testing rooms. Students who need to eat during an exam may do so in the kitchen or reception area.
- Talking or non-verbal communication with other students at any time during an exam (including breaks) is prohibited. If a student is found communicating with another student during an exam (including breaks), their instructors may be notified, and their exams may be confiscated.
- Breaks will not be allowed unless permission is received by the instructor. A CSD employee will escort students to the Student Health Center who become ill or who need restroom assistance during an exam. Students may not leave the CSD Building otherwise once they have obtained an exam.
- Exams will be returned to the instructor or departmental office in a sealed envelope (unless an instructor indicates otherwise), along with the Scantron, bluebook, and any other accompanying materials.
- CSD adheres to the UH Academic Honesty Policy. If a student is suspected of academic dishonesty while taking an exam at CSD, the exam may be stopped immediately, and CSD may attempt to contact the instructor of the course. If the exam is stopped, it may resume only with the instructor's permission. All incidents of suspected academic dishonesty will be reported to the student's instructor and the CSD Director.
- Exam rooms, computer labs, and other areas of the CSD Building are monitored through a camera surveillance system. Instructors and/or other appropriate authorized UH personnel may view students taking exams, as appropriate.
- A limited number of private testing rooms are available. Students who take exams on the computer or require the assistance of a reader and/or scribe during exams shall have scheduling preference for these rooms.
- If a student fails to comply with CSD instructions or policies regarding an exam, immediate action will be taken which may include notifying the instructor and/or confiscating the exam.
- Students may be assigned a designated area or cubicle for testing.
- Students may be asked to present any items contained in their pockets, jackets, etc., prior to, during or after taking their exam.
- Students are responsible for obtaining required access codes for computer-based exams from their instructors, as appropriate, prior to test administration.
- Students who require the assistance of a scribe and/or reader for exams should indicate this on their RITA form(s), and also verify with the CSD front desk staff that a reader/scribe will be available at the indicated/preferred date and time that an exam is scheduled.
Revised: April 2009
State law requires that users of this site be informed that this site collects the following information about the users: the number of times someone visits this web site. If you respond to the "comments" form included on this site, your response, comment, or question will be forwarded to a staff member in Student Affairs who will respond directly to you. Otherwise, no data is archived or kept for any other purpose.