Bringing Classical music's rising stars to Houston for over 25 years.
The mission of the Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival ® is to prepare college aged and young professional musicians for careers in music through a four-week intensive summer orchestral training program. The Texas Music Festival serves communities in the greater Houston area, College Station, and throughout the Southeastern Texas regions with a diverse array of orchestral and chamber music performances by student participants, faculty, and guest artists.
The Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival ® was founded in 1990 to provide young professional musicians with a challenging musical environment in which to develop skills in orchestral, chamber music, and solo performance. The intensive four-week orchestral fellowship program on the University of Houston campus is guided by distinguished artists from the Moores and Shepherd schools of music faculty, principals and members of the Houston Symphony, Houston Grand Opera and Ballet orchestras, and internationally recognized guest artists. Many TMF faculty members perform as soloists with the Festival Orchestra and as part of PERSPECTIVES (TMF’s faculty chamber music series).
- Intensive four-week orchestral training program in Houston
- For college, graduate, and young professional players (Ages 18-30; younger participants will be considered on a case by case basis)
- Over 90 talented orchestral musicians are selected to participate each year
- All TMF Orchestra Fellows receive full tuition fellowships valued around $4,000
- International musical community
- Faculty from the Moores and Shepherd schools of music, the Houston Symphony, Houston Grand Opera and Ballet orchestras, and other distinguished orchestras and music schools
- Master classes with renowned musicians as well as principals and members of the Houston Symphony and other major orchestras
- Cynthia Woods Mitchell Young Artists Competition
- Weekly private lesson instruction
- Chamber music coaching
- PERSPECTIVES: Faculty Artist Chamber Music Concerts
- Weekly orchestra programs
- Chamber music concerts
- Master classes with faculty and guests
- Performances at:
- Moores Opera House, University of Houston
- Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, The Woodlands
Cynthia Woods Mitchell Young Artist Competition
- Open to all TMF participants
- All finalists receive cash prizes. First place winner appears as soloist with both the TMF Orchestra and with the Akademisches Orchester, Leipzig in the famed Gewandhaus.
- Audition requirements
Brought to you by
- Immanuel and Helen B. Olshan Foundation
Texas Music Festival is funded in part by a grant from the City of Houston through Houston Arts Alliance.
TMF is housed in the Moores School of Music at the University of Houston’s central campus. University of Houston, Texas' premier urban research university, is located on a beautiful park-like campus in the country's fourth largest city. The Rebecca and John J. Moores School of Music Building is a spacious 144,000 square foot facility, located on the north side of campus. The Moores Opera House is an 800-seat hall praised for its acoustical excellence and celebrated mural by Frank Stella.