March 21-24, 2018
The University of Houston Moores School of Music is honored to host the 2018 Southwestern Division Conference of the College Band Director's National Association. All performances will take place in the Moore's Opera House, and a professional recording will be included.
Session Proposal Application
Submissions for Session Proposals are now being accepted through 11:59pm Central Time, August 1, 2017. Notification of acceptance will occur by September 15, 2017. Detailed session guidelines and the application are provided below.
Call for Session Proposals
Proposals are welcome from any scholar actively engaged in music research, conducting, or pedagogy related to wind bands. Proposals may be for major presentations or poster sessions. Scholars at any stage of their academic career are encouraged to submit work for consideration.
Each major presentation will be allocated 50 minutes for presentation and questions. Presentations may include audio/visual media.
Proposals must include the Session Proposal Application Form and comply with the following criteria in order to be considered:
A. Three types of proposals will be considered:
1. Research proposals should represent the original work of the author(s) and include a statement of the papers original contribution to scholarship as well as a summary of methodology and findings.
2. Poster session proposals will be considered for work in progress and should include a summary of the methodology and research questions.
3. General session proposals should include an outline of the specific content of the presentation.
B. Papers and presentations given at prior conferences will be considered if the audience was substantially different (e.g., state convention, university symposium). A statement specifying particulars of the presentation must be included with the submission.
C. Proposals should be no more than four double-spaced pages of text (approx. 1000 words) including footnotes. Musical examples need not count toward this limit.
D. An abstract (or summary of the proposal) of 150 words, suitable for publication in the conference program should be included.
E. A cover letter with the title of the paper/proposal, authors name, address, phone number, and e-mail address should accompany the submission. The proposal and abstract should NOT include the authors name or institution.
F. Submissions must be submitted electronically to Brian Gibbs at: email@example.com and received by 11:59 p.m. Central Time, August 1, 2017 for consideration.
G. All submissions will be screened by a panel of qualified evaluators.
H. Applicants will be notified of the evaluators' decisions by September 15, 2017.
Additional Information for Applicants
1. Applicants must be active members of CBDNA, current in their dues at the time of submission. Presenters must be current in their dues and registered for the conference.
2. The CBDNA Board may consider outside proposals from prominent and renowned specialists outside the college band profession without the requirement of CBDNA membership. In such cases, the Board will consider the importance of the topic to CBDNA members, background and credentials of the presenter, and the ability of the presenter to relate their topic to the college band profession.
3. Presenters must travel to the Southwestern Divisional Conference at their own expense. There is no monetary assistance provided by CBDNA.
4. Presenters will be expected to conform to time limits. SET UP TIME FOR AUDIO/VISUAL AIDS WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE TIME ALLOTMENT.
5. Presenters will be required to submit an electronic copy of the complete presentation to Dr. Brian Gibbs firstname.lastname@example.org by the close of the Southwestern Divisional Conference for the purpose of archiving the proceedings.
6. Presenters are responsible for providing copies of handouts for distribution at the presentation.
7. Presenters are responsible for requesting audio/visual needs from the host, Dr. David Clemmer email@example.com, by February 1, 2018.
Session Proposal Application (.pdf)
Session Proposal Application (.docx)
The performance application window is now closed. Accepted ensembles will be notified by June 1, 2017.
May 15, 2017 is the application deadline for ensembles submitting a request to perform. Notification of acceptance will occur by June 1, 2017. The selection process is being coordinated by Past President Eric Wilson of Baylor University.
Detailed performance instructions are provided with the applications below.