Commuter Student Services
What is a commuter student?
The University of Houston defines a commuter student as a student that does NOT live on campus or in any University-owned property, and must utilize various modes of transportation to travel to and from campus.
You’re not alone! Commuter students make up about 85% of the entire undergraduate student population. Remember that many of your classmates and friends on campus are also commuting and may be a great resource to you in terms of advice, experience, and even parking secrets.
What is Commuter Student Services?
We recognize that commuter students may face unique and different challenges than those students who live on campus. Not only do you deal with the daily commute, often you need to balance home, social, and academic responsibilities. Commuter Student Services’ mission is to provide support services and effective communication to help facilitate commuter students’ success and connection to the UH community. Our primary purpose is to ensure that your needs, as commuter students, are acknowledged and addressed by our campus community.
Tips for Commuter Students
In order to make your college experience the best it can be, here are some helpful suggestions:
- Get to campus early to beat traffic and to get a good parking spot!
- Talk to other students, faculty and staff- UH is a wonderful place to meet people!
- Get involved in campus life by joining a student organization or club.
- Attend lectures, special programs and campus events.
- Go to the UH Recreation and Wellness Center (it’s free!) to work out or exercise
- If possible, get a job on campus.
- Join an intramural team.
- Utilize study areas on campus such as the library, residence halls or study lounges within the various colleges.
- Don’t eat lunch in your car- come to the dining halls.
- Make sure to read the “CoogNews” electronic newsletter, an email you’ll receive every week as it will tell you what’s happening on campus and how to get involved.
- Stay on campus after classes- there’s always something going on!
- If you’re a new commuter student to UH (under 30 hours), take the Map-Works survey!
If you are an incoming new commuter student (and have less than 30 hours in college credit) you are eligible to participate!SIGN-UP to PARTICIPATE
Connect With Us!
We’re here to help answer questions, offer referrals and serve as advocates on your behalf as a commuter student at UH. Our office is located within the Dean of Students Office, room 302 Student Services Center 1. This website is one of the ways to help keep you connected and informed! Please continue to check back as we will continue to update this website with new information. Feel free to contact us by phone at 832-842-6183 or use one of the methods below.