CA Program FAQ
Who is eligible to become a CA and what are the requirements?
- Full-time registered commuter sophomore, junior or senior student at the start of the Fall 2014 semester.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher at time of application. You must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA to continue your appointment in the position.
- Student involvement and leadership experience.
- Willingness and ability to model appropriate behavior, goal-setting and mentoring for FTIC commuter students.
What are the responsibilities of a CA?
- Serve as a role model for a group of approximately 40 commuter students.
- Serve as an advocate for the interests, needs, and rights of commuter students.
- Utilize Map-Works, a comprehensive student success and retention tool, to help coordinate early intervention programs with commuter students.
- Help commuter students make connections to campus resources, academic resources, and student organizations on campus.
- Create programs for your assigned group of students to help them transition to the university and integrate them into campus life.
- Maintain weekly contact with your assigned group of students (via face-to-face, email, phone, FB, twitter, etc.).
- Work with Commuter Student Services to plan, promote, and implement initiatives specifically focused on FTIC commuter students.
- Actively participate in Weeks of Welcome programming including the Commuter Student Welcome Event and of the annual Commuter Awareness Kick-off.
- Devote approximately 5 hours per week to the Commuter Assistant Program.
What is the time commitment for being a CA?
- CA positions are for one academic semester beginning in August 2014 through December 2014 (approximately 16 weeks).
- Approximately 5 hours per week; additional hours may be needed for special events
- Mandatory training sessions will be Friday April 18, 2014 and Friday August 15, 2014.
What is the hiring process Timeline?
|Monday, January 20||Applications Available Online|
|Friday, February 21||Application Packets due to Dean of Students Office by 5:00pm|
|February, 24-28 (Mon-Fri)||Interviews|
|Friday, March 7||All candidates will be notified of final decisions|
|Friday, April 18||Spring Training Day (all day)|
|Friday, August 15||Fall Training Day (all day)|
Who can I contact for additional questions?
You can e-mail Commuter Student Services at commuter.uh.edu, call us at (832) 842-6183, and/or come visit us in room 252 of the University Center.
What is Map-Works?
The University of Houston is proud to offer MAP-Works, a first year success program for new freshmen and transfer students. MAP-Works is a survey based tool that will help assist students in establishing roots and developing positive habits in order to succeed at UH and beyond. Please click here for more information.