School of Theatre & Dance

UH School of Theatre & Dance
133 CWM Center
Houston TX 77204-4016
Phone: 713-743-3003
Fax: 713-743-2648

Join us on FacebookWatch us on YouTubeView our Flickr feed

Frequently Asked Questions

For Prospective Dance Students

  • Do I need to audition?
    View answer
    • Yes. All dance major, minor, and dance certification students must audition to be accepted into the dance division. Audition information:
      • Spring Audition is the last Saturday in March – For students interested in attending the University of Houston Fall semester
      • Fall Audition is the last Saturday in October – For students interested in attending the University of Houston in Spring semester
    • Location: Dance Auditions are held in Melcher Gym dance studio (room 230) located on Holman between Scott & Cullen.
      Time: 9:30 am Registration (no advance registration necessary)
      Audition begins: 10:00 am
      Audition content: The audition is structured as a class, starting with ballet barre and then going into center work & across the floor in modern/jazz styles. Students do NOT need to prepare choreography. Please wear appropriate dance attire.

      There is a mini-orientation and tour of the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts building following the audition.
  • What classes are required in the dance major and minor?
    View answer
    • Information about dance requirements can be found here
  • What courses can I sign up for if I have not auditioned?
    View answer
    • You should sign up for level 1 technique courses and if it is the Fall semester, DAN 1300.
  • Is dance technique required?
    View answer
    • Yes. All major/minors must be enrolled technique classes every semester, even if they have completed the required technique course levels.
  • If I am not yet accepted by UH Admissions can I still do the dance audition?
    View answer
    • Yes, students can audition for the Division of Dance before being accepted by University of Houston Admissions.
  • How much training is necessary be accepted into the program?
    View answer
    • We accept students at all levels into our program. You will be evaluated on both your level and on your potential to successfully complete our degree program in the time frame allotted for an undergraduate degree.
  • Can I apply for a scholarship?
    View answer
    • Unfortunately, there are no scholarships in dance for incoming students at this time.
  • I am from another state and am visiting Houston, can I come and visit classes and speak to someone?
    View answer
    • UH tries to accommodate potential students who have traveled a distance to visit the campus. Observing a dance class is by prior permission of the dance faculty. The first step is to contact Erika Jimenez who can be reached via email or call the central office for her phone number: (713) 743-3003.
  • Can I send in a video or do a private audition if I have missed the auditions?
    View answer
    • No, private auditions are not held due to time constrictions of the dance faculty. Students are expected to plan ahead and audition in March to begin classes in the Fall semester and audition in October to begin classes in the Spring semester.
  • Are there performing opportunities for dance students? 
    View answer
    • Yes. We have a student company called “Ensemble” that has a rigorous rehearsal and performance schedule. Freshmen are not eligible to be in Ensemble and Ensemble members must be registered in Level 3 technique classes. Auditions for Ensemble are usually held at the end of Spring semester.

      We also have a student organization University Dance Theater that sponsors dance performing events for students including “The Emerging Choreographers Showcase” in Fall Semester and March Monday Madness in Spring. Auditions and information about these events are given out at the Fall student orientation.
  • I am a transfer student. Will my credits in dance be transferred? 
    View answer
    • You will need to get your updated transcripts (with grades) and dance course syllabi from the dance courses you hope to transfer to our student Advisor Erika Jimenez. Ms. Jimenez will also ask you to fill out forms for the courses you are requesting to transfer. Ms. Jimenez and the dance faculty will evaluate your materials and make a decision. In general, most CORE courses (math, sciences, English, etc) will transfer if your grades allow it. For dance, some will transfer – it will depend on the course content and whether the content is equivalent to our curriculum and goals. Erika Jimenez can be reached via email or call the central office for his phone number: (713) 743-3003. 

    • Transfer students need to be aware that it will take a minimum of 2.5 years (5 semesters) to complete a BA in Dance if the incoming student is at the intermediate advanced level technically.
  • I want to be certified in dance to teach in the state of Texas. What do I do? 
    View answer
    • The state requires all educators in secondary schools to have a major in their teaching field. UH has an approved program that prepares students to take the state’s teaching certification exam in Dance, however we do not provide the certification itself.

      Dance students seeking dance certification must audition for the Division of Dance as a dance major and declare their minor in Education through the College of Education’s Q.U.E.S.T. (Quality Urban Education for Students and Teachers) program at the end of their sophomore year.  Students begin taking their education courses in their junior and senior years (QUEST 1 & QUEST 2) then do an additional semester to complete the requirements for Student Teaching (QUEST 3). When a student completes their major and requirements for QUEST, they are eligible to take the Official State TExES 8-12 exams.

      At present, individuals cannot receive a certification in dance in K-8. Texas only has cert for dance for secondary school, 9-12. Cert for dance in K-8 is scheduled for adoption by the state in 2014.
  • How do I get started in the QUEST program to declare my education minor for dance teaching certification?
    View answer
    • First, see your major advisor to obtain a copy of your degree audit. Second, see an education advisor to complete your minor degree plan application and petition in Farish 256 (schedule an appointment ) in the beginning of your Sophomore Spring semester. Third, apply online to the QUEST 1 Program.
  • How long does it take to get a dance minor? 
    View answer
    • The dance minor takes a minimum of 2 years. A consecutive four-semester series of contemporary dance theory and dance making is required. The courses must be taken in order- one per semester- and they are only offered once a year. The courses required and the semesters the courses are offered are:
      • Fall - DAN 1300 Intro to Dance Theory and Practice
      • Spring - DAN 2300 Dance Improvisation
      • Fall - DAN 2305 Composition I
      • Spring - DAN 3305 Composition II
  • How do I find out more information? 
    View answer
    • We have a Fall Dance Orientation/Pizza Party the first Wednesday annually at 4pm in Melcher Gym Dance Studio room 230. There are presentations about course requirements, performing opportunities, social events, auditions, and our student organization at this event. Alls students are required to attend, even if they have been to an orientation in the past.

      We also do a mini-orientation at the auditions in October & March, which allows incoming students to find out more about our programs prior to acceptance.
  • What classes can a non-major take?
    View answer
    • Priority is given to dance students who are in a degree plan for dance. However, non-majors are welcome to take technique classes that are level appropriate if there is room in the class. For Level 2 technique and above, the first day of class serves as a level assessment. The instructor will advise you whether you can remain in the class according to the level assessment. With the exception of Dance Aesthetics, most non-technique dance classes are restricted to dance degree students, and have pre-requisites.