Assistant Professor of Spanish Linguistics
Office: 425 Agnes Arnold Hall
Phone: (713) 743-3007
- Ph.D. Hispanic Languages and Literature - University of California, Los Angeles (2009)
- M.A. Spanish - University of California, Los Angeles (2005)
- B.A. Spanish and Linguistics - Western Washington University (2001)
Research and Teaching Interests
- Language Acquisition and bilingualism
- Adult speech perception and how this relates to L2 acquisition of phonology
- Bilingual speech perception in adulthood and childhood
Undergraduate Courses Taught
- SPAN 3305 Spanish Grammar Review
- SPAN 3306 Introduction to the Study of Spanish Language
- SPAN 4355 Introduction to Spanish Linguistics
- SPAN 4356 Spanish Grammar for Teachers
- SPAN 4357 Spanish Phonetics
Graduate Courses Taught
- SPAN 6355 Spanish Phonology
- SPAN 6395 Advanced Spanish Phonology: Optimality Theory
- SPAN 6395 Spanish Phonetics & Phonetic Variation
- SPAN 6395 Experimental Phonetics
- SPAN 7393 Speech Perception Seminar
- COMD 7382 Special Problems in Bilingual Speech Perception
- Goodin-Mayeda, C. E. (forthcoming). Nasals and Nasalization in Spanish and Portuguese: Perception, Phonetics and Phonology. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Goodin-Mayeda, C. E. (forthcoming). An Optimality-Theoretic Analysis of Codas in Brazilian Portuguese. Hispania.
- Goodin-Mayeda, C. E. (2012). Coping with the Effects of Coarticulation: Spanish and Portuguese Listeners’ Perception of Nasal Vowel Height.Phonetician, 103/104, 20-36.
- Goodin-Mayeda, C. E. (2011). Perceptual Compensation for Acoustic Effects of Nasal Coupling by Spanish and Portuguese Listeners. In S. Alvord (ed.) Selected Proceedings of the 5th Conference on Laboratory Approaches to Romance Phonology (LARP 2010). Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Goodin-Mayeda, C. E., J. Renaud & J. Rothman (2011). Optimality Theoretic L2 Reranking and the Constraint Fluctuation Hypothesis: Coda Nasals in the L2 English of L1 Spanish Speakers. In M. Pirvulescu, M. C. Cuervo, A. Pérez-Leroux, J. Steele, & N. Strik (eds.)Selected Proceedings of the 4th Conference on Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition North America (GALANA 2010). Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Goodin-Mayeda, C. E. & J. Rothman (2007). The acquisition of aspect in L2 Portuguese & Spanish: Exploring native/non-native performance differences. In S. Baauw, F. Drijkoningen & M. Pinto (Eds.), Romance Languages and Linguistic Theory 2005. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: Benjamins Publications.
Manuscripts in submission
- Goodin-Mayeda, C. E. (submitted May 2015) Production of taps and trills by heritage speakers of Spanish. Studies in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics.
- Bunta, F., Goodin-Mayeda, C. E., Proctor, A. & Hernandez, A. (submitted June 2015). VOT productions of Spanish-English bilinguals with cochlear implants: Comparison to monolingual peers with CIs and bilingual peers with normal hearing. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research.