Assistant Professor of Spanish Linguistics
Office: 425 Agnes Arnold Hall
Phone: (713) 743-3007
- Ph.D. Hispanic Languages and Literature - University of California, Los Angeles (2009)
- M.A. Spanish - University of California, Los Angeles (2005)
- B.A. Spanish and Linguistics - Western Washington University (2001)
Research and Teaching Interests
- Language Acquisition and bilingualism
- Adult speech perception and how this relates to L2 acquisition of phonology
- Bilingual speech perception in adulthood and childhood
Undergraduate Courses Taught
- SPAN 3303 Spanish Phonetics
- SPAN 3305 Spanish Grammar Review
- SPAN 4355 Introduction to Spanish Linguistics
- SPAN 4356 Spanish Grammar for Teachers
Graduate Courses Taught
- SPAN 6355 Spanish Phonology
- SPAN 6395 Spanish Phonology II
- SPAN 6395 Spanish Phonetics & Dialectology
- SPAN 6395 Experimental Phonetics
- SPAN 7393 Speech Perception
- Goodin-Mayeda, C. E., J. Renaud and J. Rothman (submitted). L2 Speech Perception/Production and Constraint Reranking: Coda Nasals in Spanish Learners of L2 English. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition.
- Goodin-Mayeda, C. E. (submitted). Coping with the Effects of Coarticulation: Spanish and Portuguese Listeners’ Perception of Nasal Vowel Height. Phonetician.
- Goodin-Mayeda, C. E. (2011). Perceptual Compensation for Acoustic Effects of Nasal Coupling by Spanish and Portuguese Listeners. In Alvord, S. (ed.) Selected Proceedings of the 5th Conference on Laboratory Approaches to Romance Phonology (LARP 2010), 75-83. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Goodin-Mayeda, C. E., J. Renaud, and J. Rothman (2011). Optimality Theoretic L2 Reranking and the Constraint Fluctuation Hypothesis: Coda Nasals in the L2 English of L1 Spanish Speakers. In Mihaela Pirvulescu et al. (eds.) Selected Proceedings of the 4th Conference on Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition North America (GALANA 2010), 66-77. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Goodin-Mayeda, C. E. & J. Rothman (2007). The acquisition of aspect in L2 Portuguese & Spanish: Exploring native/non-native performance differences. In S. Baauw, F. Drijkoningen & M. Pinto (Eds.), Romance Languages and Linguistic Theory 2005. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: Benjamins Publications.