2017-2018 AY Department of Sociology
Undergraduate and Graduate Student Paper Awards
Call for Submissions
Description of Award: The Department of Sociology invites undergraduate Sociology majors and minors, and graduate students in the Sociology MA program, to submit a course paper to the Department of Sociology’s Paper Award competition. These awards are intended to recognize undergraduate and graduate student papers that exemplify strong social science writing and engage with or build upon the existing body of literature and empirical research within the discipline. The undergraduate award is $300 and the graduate award is $500. Recipients will also be recognized on the Department of Sociology webpage.
Eligibility: You are eligible to submit a paper for consideration if you are currently an undergraduate student who is a Sociology major or minor, or if you are a graduate student in the MA program in Sociology.
Qualifying Papers: Students may submit a paper if it meets the following guidelines:
- The paper must be the student’s sole-authored original work.
- The paper must have been generated for a UH Sociology course.
- The paper should have been written during the Summer 2017, Fall 2017, or Spring 2018 semesters.
- For the purpose of these awards, a “course paper” could involve a literature review, research proposal, empirical research, theoretical analysis, or other substantial work product produced within the course. Such papers are typically, but not always, submitted at the end of the semester and worth a significant portion of the student’s grade in the course. For graduate students, this work could include a thesis chapter or a final thesis or internship paper.
Application Process: By Friday, April 20, 2018, students should submit an electronic copy of the cover sheet and their paper:
- Undergraduate paper submissions should be sent to Dr. Samantha Kwan (email@example.com).
- Graduate paper submissions should be sent to Dr. Scott Savage (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Selection Process and Award Notification: The papers will be reviewed by a panel of faculty from the Department of Sociology. Award winners will be notified at the end of the Spring semester and will receive their award and be formally recognized for their achievement by the Department. The Department reserves the right not to distribute the awards.
Contact: Questions about the Student Paper Awards should be directed to: