Department of Sociology
450 Philip Hoffman Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3012
Phone: (713) 743-3940
Fax: (713) 743-3943
Applicants who are U.S. citizens must submit the following items for admission into the graduate studies program:
- Graduate Application: apply online.
- Official GRE test scores: The GRE should be taken at least one month prior to submitting your application. The GRE score must not be more than 5 years old. Applicant must provide two verification of the GRE scores. One will need to be sent electronically to UH Admissions by Educational Testing Service (ETS) using system code #6870. The other score verification can be official or a copy of ETS report. This will need to be sent with the complete application packet to the Sociology Graduate Advisor. Official GRE scores must be received by the University and by the Department before the application is considered complete.
- International Students must also provide evidence of satisfactory English proficiency. The TOEFL exam provides this evidence and must be taken at least a month before submitting your application. TOEFL scores must to be more than 2 years old. The scores must be sent electronically to UH Admissions directly by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) using system code #6870. A copy of the TOEFL scores must also be included in the application packet sent to the Sociology Graduate Advisor. Official TOEFL scores must be received by the University and by the Department before the application is considered complete.
- Official transcripts from all higher educational institutions must be sent directly to the University of Houston Admissions, using code #6870. In addition to the official transcript sent to UH Admissions, another official transcript needs to be included in the application packet sent to the Graduate Advisor. Both official transcripts (one to UH Admissions and one to the Department) must be provided before the application is considered complete.
- International Students must send original or certified transcripts of previous education both in the original language and the English translation.
- International Students have other application requirements. For a complete list or requirements check the UH Admissions website for international students at http://www.uh.edu/admissions/international/index.php . The requirements include but are not limited to a statement of understanding, a letter of financial backing, degree clarification form, two passport sized photos, a statement of purpose.
International Students must send all of their required materials to
University of Houston
Office of Admissions
Attn: International Admissions
4400 University Drive
Houston, TX 770204-2023
- 2 letters of recommendation, preferably from academic sources must be submitted in order for the application to be complete.
- A Statement of Purpose must be submitted in order for the application to be complete.
- A resume must be provided in order for the application to be complete.
In summation, in addition to the requirements listed above being sent directly to UH Admissions (official scores, official transcripts, International student requirements), the following must be mailed directly to the Department of Sociology at the address below, in a sealed envelope. Packets with missing information will be considered incomplete:
- Copy of applytexas.org application
- An official transcript from each college or university applicant has attended
- A copy of applicant’s GRE scores.
- A copy of applicant’s TOEFL scores for international students
- 2 letters of recommendation in sealed, signed envelopes. It is preferred that the letters be written by former or present instructors who can comment on applciant’s academic work in detail.
- Statement of purpose: A brief essay of 1 to 2 pages about why applicant wants to pursue graduate work in sociology, experiences in sociology, and plans after receiving a graduate degree.
- A current resume
- Optional: If graduate assistantship is desired, the Application for student assistantship. must be filled out and sent along with the complete application. More information on assistantship can be found on the “Assistantship” link. Three letters of recommendation must accompany this assistantship application. The letters must be different than the recommendation letters required above but may be submitted by the same referent. These letters must reflect not only your academic achievements but also your work habits and work ethic.
University of Houston - Department of Sociology
Attn: Dr. Stella Grigorian, Graduate Advisor
450 Philip Guthrie Hoffman Hall (PGH)
Houston, Texas 77204-3011