Associate Professor and
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Office: 481 Philip G. Hoffman Hall
Ph.D.,University of Minnesota
M.A., Iowa State University
B.A., Central College
- The George F. Magner Award for Undergraduate Advising 2004-2005, University of Houston
- Determinants of academic achievement, teacher effectiveness, characteristics of effective schools, educational measurement
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Sociology of Work & Occupations
- Social Stratification & Inequality
- Lorence, Jon. 2014. “Third Grade Retention and Reading Achievement in Texas: A Nine Year Panel Study.” Social Science Research 48:1-19.
- Lorence, Jon. 2010. “Trait Validity and Reliability of TAAS Reading Scores.” EducationalResearchQuarterly 34(2): 18-59.
- Lorence, Jon. 2009. “Grade Retention Redux: A Dissenting Perspective.” Pp. 1153-1175 in International Handbook of Research on Teachers and Teaching: Part Two, edited by Lawrence J. Saha and A. Gary Dworkin. New York: Springer.
- Lorence, Jon. 2008. “Texas TAAS Scores Revisited.” EducationalResearchQuarterly 31(4): 3-31.
- Dworkin, A. Gary and Jon Lorence. 2007. “Non-Promotional School Change and the Achievement of Texas Students: Possible Public School Choice Outcomes under No Child Left Behind.” Pp. 243-266 in No Child Left Behind and the Reduction of the Achievement Gap: Sociological Perspectives on Federal Education Policy, edited by Alan R. Sadovnik, Jennifer O’Day, George Bohrnstedt, and Kathryn Borman. New York: Routledge.
- Lorence, Jon. 2006. “Retention and Academic Research Revisited from a United States Perspective.” International Education Journal 7(5): 731-777.
- Lorence, Jon and Anthony Gary Dworkin. 2006. “Elementary Grade Retention in Texas and Reading Achievement among Racial Groups: 1994-2002.” Review of Policy Research 23(5): 999-1033.
- Dworkin, A. Gary and Jon Lorence. 2004. “Retention in Grade and School Survival: A Challenge to the Current Consensus.” Section A2 (Life Chances and Participation). Pp.1-9 in Key Contexts for Education and Democracy in Globalising Societies, edited by R. Ruzicka, J. Ballantine, and J. A. Ruiz Roman. Prague, Czech Republic: Charles University, Argentura Action M.
- Lorence, Jon, A. Gary Dworkin, Laurence A. Toenjes, and Antwanette N. Hill. 2002. “Grade Retention and Social Promotion in Texas, 1994-1999: Academic Achievement among Elementary School Students.” Pp. 13-52 in Brookings Papers on Educational Policy: 2002, edited by Diane Ravitch. Washington DC: The Brookings Institution.