All application materials, except for the online application and official GRE test scores, should be mailed to the Department of Political Science/Attn: Graduate Advisor/Philip Guthrie Hoffman Hall (PGH) Room 447/Houston, Texas 77204-3011. Applicants who are U.S. citizens must submit the following items for admission into the graduate studies program:
- Graduate Application: apply online.
- Official GRE test scores: The GRE should be taken at least one month prior to submitting your application. Your scores must be sent to the Department of Political Science directly by the Educational Testing Service (ETS).Official GRE scores must be received by the Department before we will consider the application complete. The GRE scores should be no more than five years old.
All other sections of the application must be mailed directly to the Department at the address above:
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from past instructors who can comment on your academic work in detail.
- Two complete official transcripts from all institutions attended: The graduate program will evaluate the course work completed and the degree in addition to test scores and letters of reference to determine an applicant's admissibility.
- Statement of Purpose: A brief essay (a few paragraphs should suffice) stating why you want to get a graduate degree and what you will do with it once you graduate, and how your scholarly interests fit with the resources of the Department. The statement of purpose not only serves as a writing sample, it allows us to evaluate whether you are a good candidate for this program.
- Applicants for the Fall semester must submit their application by February 15.
- Applicants for the Spring semester must submit their application by October 1.