Design & Technology
University of Houston
338 McElhinney Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3000
The Flipped Classroom
What is a Flipped Classroom?
In a flipped classroom the traditional method of lecturing in class and assigning homework for students to complete at home is reversed. Students listen and watch lectures via video on their own time outside of class, and use the time in class to complete homework, work through problems, collaborate with others and the instructor, discuss advanced concepts, and other more engaging or interactive activities.
Benefits of Flipping a Classroom
Infographic. Click to enlarge. Source
The flipped classroom maximizes the face-to-face time for discussion where students are able to ask questions and interact in real-time with their instructors and fellow classmates. In other words, rather then being alone at home when working through complex topics or homework questions while studying, students benefit from the instructor's presence, coaching, and guidance. The ability to shift the lecture outside of the classroom time allows time for increased active learning and engagement through the professor's expertise, facilitation, and guidance.Because face to face time is limited, flipped classrooms can also provide the ability to cover more material during the semester. Students can also take their time to complete their notes, reflect, pause, replay, and re-listen to the lectures to spend time digesting complex lecture based topics by watching the lectures online, outside of class. Students are able to better prepare for classroom discussions - and engage in them - through being better informed of the main topics and concepts before coming to class.
[source: Grand Rapids Community College]
- Definition: What is Flipped Teaching?
- Flipped Classroom: The Full Picture for Higher Education
- User Generated Education, Flipped Classroom: The Full Picture for Higher Education
- Emerging Ed Tech
- Top 10 Do’s and Don’ts When Flipping Your Classroom
- Campus Technology, 6 Expert Tips for Flipping The Classroom
- TED-Ed Tour / Ted Talks
- EDU VISION flipped learning network. Turing Learning on its Head!
- Slideshare; Flipped Classroom Higher Education
- TechSmith EDU Seminar Series
- Preparing Students for a Flipped Classroom
- What’s the Next Big Thing in Education?
- Capturing Lesson Presentations via Camtasia Studio
- Video Lesson Guidelines, EducationScribeLife
- Flipping the Classroom - Simply Speaking, PENN State TLT
- Buzzed 2013 Using IT to deliver the flipped classroom
- Prezi: My Flipped Classroom, Crystal Kirch Segerstrom High School
- "Inverting the Classroom: A Gateway to Creating an Inclusive Learning Environment," Maureen J. Lage, Glenn J. Platt, and Michael Treglia (Journal of Economic Education, Winter 2000).
- Things You Should Know About Flipped Classrooms
- Flipping The College Classroom
- Inverting the Classroom: a Gateway to Creating an Inclusive Learning Environment, Maureen J. Lage, Glenn J. Platt, and Michael Treglia
- BU College of Engineering - “Flipped Classroom” Energizes Computational Fluid Dynamics Course by Mark Dwortzan.
- Using the Inverted Classroom to teach Software Engineering, Miami University 07
Articles and Reading
- Flipped Learning Network
- “Flipped Learning” Classroom Model Embraced by Teachers in Schools Nationwide, Huff Post
- Chapter 2 Flipped Classroom, ASCD.org, Books
- The “Flipped” Classroom and Transforming Education, Connected Principals
- Flipped Classrooms Promote Personalization in Higher Education, The Atlantic
- Flipped Classroom, The Chronicle
- 5 Reasons Flipped Classrooms Work, UB University Business
- "Flipped Classroom," INSIDE HIGHER ED
- Understanding the Flipped Classroom: Part 1, FACULTY FOCUS
- THE FLIPPED CLASSROOM: REVERSING THE WAY WE TEACH, NJEA, New Jersey Education Association
- Additional Resource for Teaching and Learning in the College Classroom, Gradlife UNCC.edu
- Flipping the Classroom, RUTGERS Center for Online & Hybrid Learning
- Flip Your Classroom: Reach Every Student in Every Class Every Day, ASCD STORE, EBOOK
- Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-based Strategies For Increasing Student Achievement, 2nd Edition, ASCD STORE, EBOOK
- The Art And Science Of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework For Effective Instruction, ASCD STORE, EBOOK
- EYE ON EDUCATION, Professional Learning in the Digital Age: The Educator’s Guide to User-Generated Learning
- Active Learning, Wikipedia
- What Is Active Learning, University of Minnesota, Center for Teaching and Learning
- Cambridge Regional College, Teachers toolbox.co.uk
- Active Learning, Geoff Petty
- Active Learning, National Dropout Prevention Center/Network
- Take a Leap of Faith With Mobile Learning, Upside Learning Blog
- 10 Ways Students Can Use Twitter for Paper Writing, EmergingEdTech
- 21 Literacy Resources For The Digital Teacher, TEACHTHOUGHT
- Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, UC Davis, ACTIVE LEARNING, TA Consultants
- Learning and Teaching Hub, Augumented reality in education: teaching toll or passing trend? Judy Bloxham
- Active Learning in Higher Education, Sage Journals