Please read the following festival information carefully, and address any questions to the TMF Office before arrival. Please also see the festival rules below and information about festival fees.
Infringement of the rules will result in expulsion, without refund, from the Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival®. All Orchestra Fellows are expected to exercise attendance and performance standards consistent with a professional orchestra. The Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival® reserves the right to dismiss without refund anyone whose behavior, or continued lack of preparation, does not meet professional standards.
The University of Houston Moores School of Music is the home of the the The Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival®. The Moores School of Music Building is located at Entrance No. 16 off Cullen Blvd., west of Interstate 45. Orchestra Fellows are housed at Cougar Village I.
- Arrival & Registration: Arrival, registration and dorm check-in takes place on Friday, June 3, 2016 from 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. at Cougar Village I (4385 Wheeler Avenue, Houston, TX 77004). Orchestra Fellows living off-campus must pick up their packet during registration on June 3.
- Orientation: 5:00 p.m., Friday, June 3, 2016, Moores Opera House. All Orchestra Fellows are required to attend.
- Welcome BBQ: 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. on Friday, June 3 , Moores School of Music, Room 185 and will be the only meal served that day. You are responsible for breakfast and lunch on June 3, but there are dining options on the UH campus and nearby. Full meal service in the UH cafeteria begins on June 4.
- Placement Auditions: Orchestra seating placement will be decided through brief auditions. Placement auditions for viola, cello, double bass, oboe, flute, clarinet, bassoon, horn, trumpet, and percussion will take place on Saturday, June 4, 2016 starting at 2:30 p.m. There are no placement auditions for trombone, tuba or harp - part assignments for these instruments will be determined by the Music Director and instrument faculty.
Orchestra seating auditions for violin will take place on Sunday, June 5, 2016 and will start at 9 a.m. in Moores School of Music (MSM) Room 205.
Specific excerpts may be listed for piccolo, English horn, E-flat clarinet, bass clarinet and contrabassoon. Auxiliary instrument auditions are not required for the placement auditions. However, it is expected that all auxiliary instrument responsibilities/opportunities will be shared in each section. Please see below under "Auxiliary Instruments" for more information.
Placement audition information and excerpts will be available on our website for download by the beginning of May. You are responsible for downloading and preparing the placement audition music.
- Final Performance: Saturday, July 2, 2016, 7:30 p.m., Moores Opera House.
- Departure: Sunday, July 3, 2016 (participants staying on-campus must check-out of the dorm before 6 p.m.)
Fees - All fees are NON-REFUNDABLE
- All Orchestra Fellows receive a fellowship that covers tuition, housing, and meals (a $4000 value).
- Application fee: $75 (Due with TMF DecisionDesk application and payable online by credit card. NOTE: the $75 application fee will be listed on your credit card statement as a charge from Stripe.com.)
- Registration fee: $300 (Due upon acceptance and no later than March 29, 2016)
- DS2019 Request Fee: $200 (Due upon acceptance and no later than March 29, 2016 for international Orchestra Fellows requiring J-1 visa. Orchestra Fellows who are not U.S. citizens and are not already in the U.S. on an F or J visa valid through July 3, 2016 are required to apply for a J-1 visa to attend TMF. The $200 DS2019 Request Fee Includes DS2019 from the University of Houston and health insurance, but excludes $180 SEVIS fee, $160 visa fee, and any consular fees. English proficiency is also required – all rehearsals, sectionals, lessons, master classes are held in English.)
- Parking Permit Fee: $30 (non-refundable and due with Orchestra Fellow Information Form)
- Linen Packet Fee: $20 (non-refundable and due with Orchestra Fellow Information Form)
- Cynthia Woods Mitchell Young Artist Competition Registration Fee: $25 (non-refundable and due with Orchestra Fellow Information Form)
Security Deposit - required of all Orchestra Fellows
Security Deposit: All Orchestra Fellows are required to have a credit card on file while attending the Texas Music Festival Orchestral Institute as a security deposit. Any charges against the your account (lost music/books, dorm room/equipment damage) will be charged to the credit card on file and you will be notified of any charges. In the even of unexpected departure or dismissal for any reason, $250 will be charged to the credit card on file, and the you may be charged for reimbursement of housing costs.
Transportation/Arrival and Departure Information
Orchestra Fellows are responsible for providing/arranging their own transportation to the festival. Cougar Village I is the registration, dorm check-in and housing site for the festival, and it is located on the University of Houston Campus at 4385 Wheeler Avenue, Houston, TX 77004.
Flying to/from Houston: Houston has two large international airports with many direct flights from all over the US and the world—Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) or Houston Hobby Airport (HOU). Cabs and Uber are readily available at both airports. Houston Hobby Airport (HOU) is the closest airport to the University of Houston campus, but either airport is convenient for travel. The Greyhound Bus station, located just outside of downtown Houston, is also not far from campus, and requires only a short cab or Uber ride to Cougar Village.
Plan your arrival flight time to arrive at dorm check-in on Friday, June 3 from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. Include travel time from the airport to Cougar Village — cabs and Uber are readily available at both IAH and HOU airports. IAH to Cougar Village is approximately a 45-minute ride. HOU to Cougar Village is approximately a 25-minute ride. Traffic can be heavy in Houston - be prepared for extra travel time. On departure day, you are also responsible for your own transportation to the airport on Sunday, July 3 and dorm checkout must be completed BEFORE 6 p.m. that day. Housing is not available after July 3.
Parking on the UH campus requires a valid parking permit at all times. Please indicate on the Orchestra Fellow Information Form if you need to purchase a parking permit ($30/permit, non-refundable). You will receive your parking permit at registration on June 3. The parking permit must be clearly displayed in your car at all times while parking on campus to avoid a ticket from UH Parking. The parking permit will allow you to park daily (Monday – Friday, until 6 p.m.) in Lot 16B, the un-gated student parking area on the right side of the lot across from MSM. Do not park in the VISITOR metered area in the middle of Lot 16B or the Ungated Faculty/Staff lot on the left side – you will get ticketed if you park in any of these lots, even with the parking permit. Parking in Lot 16B is free after 6 p.m. during the week and all day on weekends. Parking at Cougar Village is limited and on a first-come, first-served basis in Lot 4A adjacent to Moody Towers or Lot 9C by the Quadrangle.
Orchestra Fellows are housed at Cougar Village I in a double-occupancy room as part of a two-room suite (four people per suite – no single rooms available). Access to Cougar Village I requires both a swipe key card to enter the building and an individual key for your room, and these items will be issued at dorm check-in. The cost for replacing a lost dorm room key is $250, which will be charged to the credit card listed on your Security Deposit form.
You must provide your own towels, pillow, blanket, and bed linens (XL Twin). Linen packets ordered in advance are $20/packet (non-refundable)—indicate if you need a linen packet on Orchestra Fellow Information form. Linen packets include one towel, one washcloth, two sheets, and one pillow (no blanket). You will receive your linen packet at dorm check-in on June 3. Linen packets requested at dorm check-in are $30 and will be charged to the card listed on your Security Deposit form. Linen packets must be returned at dorm checkout on July 3 to avoid charges to the card listed on your Security Deposit form. It is recommended to bring something warm to sleep in and/or a blanket of your own as the dorms are air-conditioned and may be cold for some. Free laundry facilities are located in Cougar Village but you must provide your own detergent.
Telephones and Internet
- You must bring your own cell phone. International Students - it is recommended that you have an American cell phone while at TMF so the Personnel Manager can contact you.
- The TMF office will take personal messages ONLY in an EMERGENCY.
- FREE Wireless Internet access is available in the dorms and the lobby of the Moores School of Music.
Receiving Mail at TMF
- Participants living on-campus who need to receive mail during TMF should use the following mailing address:
TMF Orchestral Institute
Attn: Your Name
UH Moores School of Music
3333 Cullen Blvd., Room 120
Houston, TX 77204-4017
Mail is not delivered to the dorms and the MSM main office is closed on weekends. The delivery time on the UH campus is very slow—allow extra time to receive mail or packages. It is not recommended to have mail sent to you during the last week (June 27 – July 2) – it may not arrive before the final Friday (July 1) and mail received after July 1 will not be forwarded. All packages received after Friday, July 1 will be returned to sender.
UH Campus Dining Services provides three daily meals for Orchestra Fellows living on-campus. Orchestra Fellows living off-campus will receive a meal card for two meals a day at registration on June 3. Meals are served in the Fresh Food Company at Moody Towers, the dorm directly adjacent to Cougar Village. The first meal served will be dinner at the Welcome BBQ on June 3 and the last meal will be breakfast or lunch on July 2.
Houston’s weather in June is very warm, but all buildings on the UH campus are air-conditioned and can be quite cool. It is recommended to bring clothes that can be layered to ensure comfort. Casual dress is in order except for concerts. Appropriate concert dress is REQUIRED for Festival Orchestra Series performances – be sure to pack the following items:.
- Ladies - ALL BLACK: Ankle-length long black skirt or dress slacks, black dress shoes (no sandals), and blouse with sleeves – at least ¾ length. (No spaghetti strap, strapless, or halter-tops).
- Men - Tuxedo, black bow tie, white dress shirt, black dress socks, and black dress shoes.
Chamber music performances:
- Appropriate summer concert attire.
Lockers and Insurance
You will be assigned a locker for your instrument in the MSM Building. Lockers are assigned based on instrument/case size, and combination locks will be provided. Locker assignment information will be given to you at check-in/registration. Please indicate on the Orchestra Fellow Information Form if your instrument case is not a standard size (especially violins or violas) and a larger locker is required. Please also bring a folding music stand for your convenience. Music stands will be available in each practice room, but they should not be removed or moved to different rooms in MSM under any circumstances.
INSTRUMENT INSURANCE: As an entity of the State of Texas, the University of Houston does not have liability insurance, nor is it liable for theft or damage of personal property. We strongly advise that your instrument be fully insured before arriving in Houston. The TMF Orchestra will perform one concert outside at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion on June 24, 2016 – the stage is covered and air conditioned, but open. It is your responsibility to bring another instrument for this outdoor performance if you are not comfortable using your usual instrument. The Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival® is not responsible for any damage to instruments.
All auxiliary instrument responsibilities/opportunities will be shared in each section:
- All flute participants are expected to bring a piccolo, if you have one.
- All oboe participants are expected to bring an English horn, if you have one, and reeds and the equipment needed to make new English horn reeds. Bring a device for supporting the weight of the instrument, if needed.
- In addition to B-flat and A instruments, all clarinet participants are also expected to bring E-flat and bass clarinet instruments and/or mouthpieces, if you have one.
- All bassoon participants are expected to bring a contrabassoon, if you have one, and contrabassoon reeds and equipment to make new reeds. Bring a device for supporting the weight of the contrabassoon, if needed.
The University of Houston campus, indoors and out, is designated SMOKE FREE. Accordingly, smoking is not permitted anywhere on campus.
Medical care is available at the UH Campus Health Center during weekday business hours; however the TMF Office must make the appointment for non-UH students. You are responsible for all fees and/or filing any insurance claims. Any illness requiring a visit to an Emergency or Urgent Care clinic or afterhours can be arranged by contacting the TMF housing staff.
University tennis courts, swimming pool and gymnasium are available to Orchestra Fellows living on-campus. Use of these facilities is at your own risk. Memberships to UH’s Campus Recreation and Wellness Center are available for purchase for $45/month or $10/day. You must ask for the Texas Music Festival rate, and provide your Cougar Village dorm card and a photo ID to the staff at the Welcome Desk. For off-campus activities on free days/evenings, you may request transportation assistance from the Housing Staff if alternate transportation via Houston Metro is not available.
Houston Metro Purple Line
Houston Metro Rail’s Purple Line route offers service between the UH campus and downtown Houston. The UH South/University Oaks station is located near Cougar Village on Wheeler Street. Purple Line route map and more information about how to ride Houston Metro Rail may be found on http://www.ridemetro.org/Pages/PurpleLine.aspx
All Orchestra Fellows are eligible to participate in the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Young Artist Competition.
A movement of a standard concerto, or showpiece, for solo instrument and orchestra. Total length not to exceed 15 minutes, including full orchestral tuttis. Please read the following requirements carefully.
TMF reserves the right to reject any request to compete with repertoire that does not meet the requirements listed above.
- All competitors must pay the $25 non-refundable registration fee to compete (indicate on the Orchesra Fellow Information Form)
- Your piece must be no longer than 15 minutes in total, including all full orchestral tuttis. You may only compete with a standard concerto, concerto movement, or solo work for instrument and orchestra. You may NOT compete with any work that does not meet these specifications.
- Work must be performed from memory at all levels of adjudication
- YOU must bring and provide a piano reduction score for accompanist for the Preliminary Round - no sonatas
- Preliminary Round: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 7 p.m. (only 8 – 10 minutes of piece will be heard)
- Final Round: Sunday, June 12, 2016, 2 p.m. Final Round is open to the public
- All finalists receive a cash prize and competition medal
Subject to the availability of orchestral parts, and the approval of repertoire by the conductor, the winner will perform with the orchestra under the baton of Maestra Mei-Ann Chen at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in The Woodlans on Friday, June 24, 2016 at 8 p.m. and also at the Moores Opera House on Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. The winner will also be invited to appear as a soloist with the Akademisches Orchester in Leipzig, Germany at the famed Gewandhaus in the fall of 2017.
Festival and Dormitory Regulations
Rules for the Texas Music Festival coincide with the rules of conduct for the University of Houston.
- No alcohol allowed in any public areas of campus – all ages. Anyone under the legal drinking age of Texas (21) found in possession of alcohol, or anyone found with alcohol in the presence of someone under the legal drinking age will be sent home immediately.
- No prohibited drugs of any kind are allowed.
- No minor age students may ever leave the campus with anyone other than approved staff. Exceptions must be cleared through the TMF office.
- Dormitory residents are asked to be considerate toward other residents at all times.
- Dormitory residents under 18 years of age must sign out with dorm staff or TMF office when leaving the campus and have a curfew of 11 p.m.
- Attendance and punctuality are required at all rehearsals, lessons, and all scheduled performances.
- Dormitory quiet hours are: 10 p.m. – 8 a.m. (weekdays) and 12 a.m. – 10 a.m. (weekends)
- Practice rooms are available in the Moores School of Music. Practicing is not allowed anywhere in the dorms.
- Cell phones are not allowed on stage during rehearsals or concerts—no exceptions.