TMF Participant Information
Please read the following festival information carefully, and address any questions to the TMF Office before arrival. Please also see the festival rules below and information about festival fees.
Infringement of the rules will result in expulsion, without refund, from the Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival®. All participants are expected to exercise attendance and performance standards consistent with a professional orchestra. The Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival® reserves the right to dismiss without refund anyone whose behavior, or continued lack of preparation, does not meet professional standards.
The University of Houston Moores School of Music is the home of the the The Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival®. The Moores School of Music Building is located at Entrance No. 16 off Cullen Blvd., west of Interstate 45. TMF participants are housed at Cougar Village.
If you require transportation from either of Houston’s major airports (Bush Intercontinental-IAH or Houston Hobby-HOU), please use the TMF Participant Information Form to convey flight information to the TMF office by Monday, May 5, 2014. A TMF staff member will meet you at baggage claim when you arrive in Houston. You will be emailed their cell phone number prior to your arrival – please call them, not the TMF office, if you have any delays or problems. Airport transfers for departure on Sunday, June 29, 2014 will also be provided.
- Notification Deadline: On or before Monday, March 17, 2014 by email only. We are not able to offer feedback on live or recorded auditions.
- Acceptance Deadline: Friday, March 28, 2014.
- Arrival & Registration: All out-of-town TMF participants must arrive on Friday, May 30, 2014. Dormitory check-in and registration is possible on Friday, May 30, 2014 anytime between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. If you are driving, please indicate an approximate arrival time on the TMF Participation Information Form. If you are arriving after 6 p.m. on Friday, May 30 please inform the TMF Office by Monday, May 5, 2014. A Welcome BBQ will take place at the Moores School of Music from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. and will be the only meal provided on Friday, May 30, 2014.
- Orientation: 11:00 a.m., Saturday, May 31, 2014, Moores Opera House.
- Placement Auditions: Orchestra seating placement will be decided through brief auditions. Orchestra seating auditions for viola, cello, double bass, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn, trumpet and percussion
will take place on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 2:30 p.m. There
are no placement auditions for trombone, tuba or harp - part
assignments for these instruments will be determined by the Music
Director and instrument faculty.
Orchestra seating auditions for violin only will take place on Sunday, June 1, 2014 and will start at 9 a.m. in Moores School of Music (MSM) Room 205.
Placement audition information and excerpts will be available on our website for download by May 5, 2014. You are responsible for downloading and preparing the placement audition music.
- Final Performance: Saturday, June 28, 2014, 7:30 p.m., Moores Opera House.
- Departure: Sunday, June 29, 2014 by 6 p.m.
Fees - All fees are NON-REFUNDABLE
- All participants receive a fellowship that covers tuition, housing, and meals (a $4000 value).
- Reservation Fee: $275 (Due upon acceptance.)
- J-1 Visa Processing: $200 (Due upon acceptance. For students requiring J-1 visa. Includes visa and health insurance. Excludes SEVIS or consular fees.)
Security Deposit - required of all TMF participants
Security Deposit: All participants are required to have a credit card on file while attending the Texas Music Festival as a security deposit. Any charges against the participant's account (lost music/books, dorm room/equipment damage) will be charged to the credit card on file and the participant will be notified of any charges. In the even of unexpected departure or dismissal for any reason, $200 will be charged to the credit card on file, and the participant may be charged for reimbursement of housing costs.
TMF participants are housed at Cougar Village. Students should provide their own towels, pillow, sheets, blanket, and personal toiletries, but linen packets are available for purchase ($20/packet and non-refundable). Please indicate on the TMF Participant Information Form if you need to purchase a linen packet. You will receive your linen packet when you check into the dorm. The packet includes: one towel, one wash cloth, two sheets, and one pillow (no blanket). Laundry facilities are located in the dorms. Linen packs must be returned at dorm check-out otherwise you will be charged a fee against your security deposit.
Telephones and Internet
- You must bring your own cell phone. International Students - it is recommended that you have an American cell phone while at TMF so the Personnel Manager can contact you.
- The TMF office will take personal messages ONLY in an EMERGENCY.
- FREE Wireless Internet access is available in the dorms and the lobby of the Moores School of Music.
Campus Dining Services provide three daily meals for TMF participants who are staying in the dorms. TMF participants who live off-campus will receive a meal card for only two meals per day. Meals are served at the Fresh Food Company at Moody Towers. The first meal served is dinner at the Welcome BBQ at the Moores School of Music from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. on Friday, May 30, 2014. The last meal served is breakfast on Sunday, June 29, 2014.
Houston’s weather in June is very warm. Casual dress is in order except for concerts.
- Ladies - ALL BLACK: Ankle-length long black skirt or dress slacks, black dress shoes (no sandals), and blouse with sleeves – at least ¾ length. (No spaghetti strap, strapless, or halter-tops).
- Men - Tuxedo, black bow tie, white dress shirt, black dress socks, and black dress shoes.
Student chamber music performances:
- Appropriate summer concert attire.
Participants may park in surface student lots, excluding handicap and reserved spaces. Please indicate on the TMF Participant Information Form if you need to purchase a parking permit ($30/permit and non-refundable). You will receive your parking permit when you check into the dorms..
Lockers, Equipment, and Insurance
Lockers are available in the music building. Combination locks are provided. Please indicate on the TMF Participant Information Form if your instrument case is not standard size and you require a larger locker.
INSTRUMENT INSURANCE: As an entity of the State of Texas, the University of Houston does not have liability insurance nor is it liable for theft or damage of personal property. We strongly advise that your instrument be fully insured. Please note that the TMF Orchestra will perform one concert outside at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – the stage is covered and air conditioned, but open. It is your responsibility to bring another instrument for this outdoor performance if you are not comfortable using your usual instrument. TMF is not responsible for any damage to instruments used in outdoor or indoor performances.
Houston has very strict smoking laws. Smoking is prohibited in all UH campus buildings and elevators by direct order of the State Fire Marshal.
Medical care is available through the Campus Health Center, located adjacent to the Quad dorms. Students are responsible for fees and/or insurance claim filing.
The UH Campus Recreation and Wellness Center has offered a special TMF month pass for $42 and a daily pass for $7. To receive this special rate, please bring your Cougar Village dorm card and a form of ID to purchase membership. Off-campus activities will be organized by the housing staff.
All Festival Orchestra participants are eligible to participate in the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Young Artist Competition.
A movement of a standard concerto, or showpiece, for solo instrument and orchestra. Total length not to exceed 15 minutes, including full orchestral tuttis.
TMF reserves the right to reject any request to compete with repertoire that does not meet the requirements listed above.
- work/movement to be performed from memory at every level
- participant must provide own piano score for accompanist
- orchestral scores must be easily obtainable for performance
- final concert program subject to conductor's approval
The preliminary round will take place on Thursday, June 5, 2014 at 7 p.m.
Finals will take place on Sunday, June 8, 2014 at 2 p.m. in Dudley Recital Hall and are open to the public.
All finalists will receive a cash prize and competition medal.
Subject to the availability of orchestral parts, and the approval of repertoire by the conductor, the winner will perform with the orchestra under the baton of Maestro Carlos Spierer at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in The Woodlans on Friday, June 13, 2014 at 8 p.m. and also at the Moores Opera House on Saturday, June 14, 2014 at 7:30 p.m.
Festival and Dormitory Regulations
Rules for the Texas Music Festival coincide with the rules of conduct for the University of Houston.
- No alcohol allowed in any public areas of campus – all ages. Anyone under the legal drinking age of Texas (21) found in possession of alcohol, or anyone found with alcohol in the presence of someone under the legal drinking age will be sent home immediately.
- No prohibited drugs of any kind are allowed.
- No minor age students may ever leave the campus with anyone other than approved staff. Exceptions must be cleared through the TMF office.
- Dormitory residents are asked to be considerate toward other residents at all times.
- Dormitory residents under 18 years of age must sign out with dorm staff or TMF office when leaving the campus and have a curfew of 11 p.m.
- Attendance and punctuality are required at all rehearsals, lessons, and all scheduled performances.
- Dormitory quiet hours are: 10 p.m. – 8 a.m. (weekdays) and 12 a.m. – 10 a.m. (weekends)
- Practice rooms are available in the Moores School of Music. Practicing is not allowed anywhere in the dorms.