The Texas Music Festival® invites applications for Le Chiavi: The Institute of Bel Canto Studies at the University of Houston Moores School of Music. This intensive program is designed for advanced college, graduate, and pre-professional singers.
An internationally acclaimed faculty provides individually designed instruction in the art of bel canto, adapted for each participant:
- Daily individual coaching and observations equivalent to over 35 hours per week
- Daily master classes including techniques in dramatic interpretation and theatrical presentation
- Stage movement
- Emphasis on performance practices relating to musical interpretation, ornamentation, diction, and Fach
- Classroom instruction of specialized topics relating to bel canto, including historical precedents and the current expectations and demands of professional performance
- Individual voice lessons available for participants (optional at no additional charge)
- A final concert of arias, songs, and ensembles
- Limited enrollment and generous tuition fellowships
- Richard Bado
- Paul Bertagnolli*, guest lecturer
- David Burnakus
- Melanie Sonnenberg*, Director
- Ruth Ann Swenson
- Ted Taylor
- Nova Thomas
How to Apply and Audition
- Completed application form with $60 application fee (payable by check or credit card).
- One page resume
- Audition Repertoire: Three vocal selections, including at least one aria, or song, by Bellini, Donizetti, or Rossini.
- Option 1 - National Live Audition at the University of Houston Moores School of Music: February 20, 2016
Please indicate you preference for a live audition on the submitted application form. The Institute Director will contact you for scheduling.
- Option 2 - Recorded Audition: Submit a DVD audition of the required repertoire OR post your audition on YouTube and email the links to msonnenb@Central.UH.EDU
- International Applicants Not Currently in the U.S.: If accepted, you are responsible for obtaining your own visa to attend Le Chiavi 2016.
- For National Live Auditions in Houston: received by Monday, February, 1, 2016
- For Recorded Audition: DVD or YouTube links and application received by Monday, March 21, 2016
Application/DVD mailing address:
Institute of Bel Canto Studies
Texas Music Festival
3333 Cullen Blvd., Room 120
Houston, TX 77204-4017
Fees (all fees are non-refundable)
- Application fee: $60 (due with application)
- Registration fee: $900 (due upon acceptance - includes approximately 35 hours of instruction per week)
- Tuition: $0 (All participants receive a fellowship for the remaining tuition valued at $3200 underwritten by the Immanuel & Helen Olshan Foundation)
- Optional room and board: $1100 (University of Houston dormitory; double occupancy; three meals daily in UH dorm cafeteria)
For more information
Melanie Sonnenberg, Director