by Jules Massenet
October 23, 24, 26 – 7:30 PM
October 25 – 2:00 PM
As the saying goes, good girls go to heaven and bad girls go everywhere. Manon goes to Paris and during her brief lifetime breaks a lot of hearts, including her own. Manon is an endlessly melodic, lavish and splendid evocation of the 18th century in all its decadence and glamor that is oh, so French.
Sung in the original French with English surtitles
- Houston Public radio Podcast about the opera
- Synopsis from BBC
- Wikipedia article about the opera
- About the author of the novella Abbé Prevóst
- Beverly Sills sings the graceful Gavotte from Act Three
- Anna Netrebko seduces Rolando Villazon in a church!
- Anna Netrebko is torn between love and money in the aria “Adieu notre petite table”
- Tenor Piotr Beczala battles his demons in the aria Ah, fuyez”