First Time in College Students
In addition to meeting all requirements for admission to the University of Houston, all students seeking acceptance as music majors must apply separately to the Moores School of Music and must pass an audition on their principal instrument or voice while meeting at least a freshman level of performance. In addition, they must take an examination for placement in music theory. Current UH students seeking to change their major to music need not complete a repeat application for admission to the university.
In addition to meeting all requirements for admission to the University of Houston, all transfer students seeking acceptance as music majors must apply separately to the Moores School of Music and must pass an audition on their principal instrument or voice.
Music majors transferring from other institutions must have a 2.50 minimum grade point average in all music courses attempted. Courses within the Texas "Field of Study Curriculum for Music" will transfer if minimum grade point and proficiency requirements are met. As required of Moores School of Music's native students, transfer students must take and pass applicable prerequisite proficiency exams before enrolling in designated theory and aural skills courses.
Transfer students in composition must have a 3.25 GPA in all previous music theory, aural skills and composition course work in order to be accepted into the composition program. Transfer students in music theory must have a 3.0 GPA in all freshman and sophomore level theory and aural skills courses to be fully admitted to the music theory program in the junior year and a GPA of 3.25 in all theory courses to graduate.
Transfer student interested in placing out of the Group Piano course sequence must pass the Piano Proficiency Exit Exam. For more information, click here.
2015-2016 Audition Dates and Application Deadlines
|Spring 2016 Semester||Audition Date: November 7, 2015|
Deadline to receive completed application materials for voice students: October 1, 2015
|Fall 2016 Semester|| Audition Date: February 6, 2016 (all except piano)
Audition Date: February 20, 2016 (piano)
Deadline to receive completed application materials for voice students: January 1, 2016
|Audition Date: March 5 or March 6, 2016|
Deadline to receive completed application materials for voice students: February 1, 2016
- Complete the appropriate University of Houston application.
- Completed Moores School of Music application, including uploading required supplemental materials:
- 250-word statement of purpose (including educational and career goals)
- Music résumé (all experience in music: years of private instruction, ensemble experience, solo performances, awards, etc.)
- Unofficial copies of transcript(s) from educational institutions (Freshmen: high school transcript, GED; Transfer Students: transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended)
- At least one letter of recommendation from a music professional. During the online application, applicants are asked for the name & email address of their recommending person(s).
- Voice students must submit a pre-screening video recording and Composition students must submit a composition portfolio (if available) as an upload into the online application. In the event that a portfolio is too large to upload, submission by mail is acceptable.
- Receive application confirmation from Moores School of Music Admissions Coordinator.
- The student’s assigned audition date, time and other required activities (theory placement exam, information session, and/or exit interview) will be sent to the email address specified on the music application 1-3 weeks before the audition date.
- (Optional) Apply for federal financial aid through FAFSA.
- (Optional) Apply for University of Houston Housing.
In addition to the requirements listed for each program above, international applicants must also follow all instructions provided at the International Admissions website. Specifically:
- In addition to transcripts, students must also submit copies of degrees/diplomas received from each institution.
- Students must provide certified English translations of all transcripts and diplomas not written in English. Details here.
- Student must provide proof of completing the university's English language requirement. If submitting TOEFL or IELTS test scores, acceptable scores [TOEFL: 79 (internet-based) or 550 (paper-based); IELTS: 6.5] must be received by the application deadline. Students will not be allowed to audition unless they have provided proof of completing this requirement.
- If admitted: students will need to provide additional documents, including proof of financial backing and passport, to the International Admissions office in order to process their I-20 form.