Language and Literature
- Japanese Text Initiative – Japanese text
- Japanese Language Learning Resources -A free tutorial that teaches Japan's language and culture through the experiences of an expatriate family newly transferred to Tokyo.
- Excite.co.jp -Cut and paste Japanese text for a rough translation.
- Haiku poetry
- Classical Japanese Network - Brief summary of classical Japanese grammar and old Japanese manuscripts and inscriptions.
- Manifestations of Gender Distinction in the Japanese Language -
Explains historical development of the Japanese language and diversity of its gender specific constructs and their usage
- A Web of Online Dictionaries -This website indexes on-line dictionaries, thesauruses, and such containing words and phrases. Preference in selection has been given to the free online dictionary of high quality.
- KABUKI for EVERYONE -traditional Japanese theater
- Kyoto National Museum - English version available
- Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo -English version available
- The Daily Yomiuri - Daily news, English version available
- The Japan Times - Daily news, in English
- Kyodo News -Daily news from Tokyo, English version available
- Nikkei Net -Financial news, English version available
- The Japan Information Acccess Project -Conducts scholarly research and analysis on critical Asia policy issues to strengthen international understanding of Japanese and northeast Asian science, technology, economic and security policy.
- Tokyo Progressive - Includes articles and links to activist groups.
- Japanese Communist Party -Founded as an underground political association, it emerged itself legal after the second world war.
- Democratic Party of Japan -Launched in 1996, Minshuto includes members of the parliamentary group Citizens Action League and liberals who left the SDP.
- Introduction to Japan's Political Parties -A guide provided by The Web Kanzaki.
- Liberal Democratic Party of Japan - Japan's primary center-right political party.
- The Japan FAQ: Know Before You Go - Important info for anyone visiting or relocating to Japan.
- Japan file - Information bridge between Japan & The World
- Japan From A to Z -Guide to various Japanese objects and characteristics.
- Japanese Culture -- A Primer For Newcomers -Explanations of Japanese cultural traits and resulting culture shock facing westerners
- Key Aspects of Japan
- Japanese Manners & Etiquette - lots of information on how to avoid looking like a buffoon in Japan.
- Access-J Japanese Webpage Viewer - Read Japanese websites without any added software or hassles.
- CEAL - Council on East Asian Libraries
- J Guide -Stanford Guide to Japan Information Resources
- Nihon University
- NTT -Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation home page and information source, English version available
- Tokyo Food Page Cuisine and restaurant guide, English version available
- Japanese Lessons - Introductory language lessons with dialogues, vocabulary, grammar, and culture modules.
- Japanese Friendship Garden Society of San Diego
- The Japanese Garden Society of Houston
- Japanese American National Museum
- The online world of ANIME & Manga -Find out about Japanese Anime and their cutest import Doraemon!
- The all-time hit children’s manga classic of Japan, Doraemon
- The Ashiya International Haiku Festa
- History of Japan -Overview, and ancient to modern
- National Museum of Japanese History -Located in Sakura City, Chiba. Covers history of Japan from prehistoric periods to modern times. Includes visitor info and online galleries.
- The Currency Museum -Bank of Japan virtual museum exhibit of old currency in Japan, as well as money used during Japan's colonial empire.
- Edo Japan -- A Virtual Tour A multimedia tour of Edo (Tokyo) during the 18th century, the age of the Tokugawa Shoguns; visit the city learning about the culture, lifestyles and history.
- The Imperial Family of Japan -Provides biographical information, pictures, genealogical tables, and legal documents on the current status of the imperial family
- ABC of Modern Japanese History-Provides new information on topics from modern Japanese history, such as WWII war crimes, the holocaust and Japanese policy, post-war reparations, comfort women, new history textbook movement
- Japanese History Documentation Project -Includes an encyclopedia, introduction to Japanese history, and booklists.