Language Acquisition Center
University of Houston
217 Agnes Arnold Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3048
Phone: (713) 743-3132
Dictionary and online learning
- Talking English-Chinese dictionary Look up words by English, pinyin or simplified Chinese. Users can listen to the words by scrolling over or clicking on the word.
- Pinyin Learning Tools by Quick Mandarin
- English- Chinese Dictionary
- Chinese Character Dictionaries -allows simultaneous searching of the major Chinese character dictionaries on the web; requires Chinese browser or fonts.
- Online Dictionaries -This website indexes on-line dictionaries, thesauruses, and such containing words and phrases. Preference in selection has been given to the free online dictionary of high quality.
- Chinese Characters -some English
- Learning Chinese Online -An excellent website for practicing pronunciations, listening, reading.
- Chengo Chinese - China and the U.S. collaborate to develop Chinese and English learning program. Click 'classroom' on the left. The user name and password are both 'chengo'.
- On-Line Chinese Tools - Chinese/ English Dictionary, Character Flashcards.
- Pinyin: from University of Iowa
Language and Literature
- Index of Classics -collection of Chinese literary sites
- Confucian Writings -English translation available
- Chinese Text Initiative -Big 5 texts with English translation of Chinese literature, including 300 Tang poems and Gu Yao Yan.
- Songs and Stories of the Hua Miao -Tales from the A-hmao people of Yunnan and Guizhou.
- Chinese Literature
- Exploring Ancient World Cultures -Essays on Taoist and Confucian classics. Also includes a timeline with literary dates and links to texts.
- Daoist Scriptures -A large collection of Chinese Taoist literature. Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu.
- Shijing: The Book of Songs -Brief introduction to "The Book of Songs", the earliest collection of Chinese poems, with excerpts.
- The Monkey King -Introduction and illustrated version of part of the novel of the "Journey to the West."
- Chinese Traditional Culture
- Chinese -An introduction to the language of classical Chinese, plus the author's translations of selected Tang poems. By Brian Tung.
- Highlights of Ancient Chinese Stories -Sunzi's Art of Warfare, Chinese New Year - the Spring Festival, the Scions of Huang Di and Yan Di
- Xi You Ji: The Journey to the West.-A casual look into the classic ancient Chinese story. Includes screen captures of the 1986 and 2001 Chinese CCTV production of the story.
- Three Kingdoms World -Dedicated to the "Romance of Three Kingdoms," with character profiles, synopsis, stories, quotes, and links.
- Xin Yu Si -New Threads Electronic Library is a public archive site dedicated to storing electronic versions (GB code) of Chinese literature.
- Chinese Literature -Introduction to the literature, with comic book versions of Monkey and The Water Margin.
- Literature Network -Lionel Giles version of the Art of War, with search feature.
- Jim Shan, Ph.D. -About.com Chinese culture expert has the Art of War in both Chinese and English.
- China News Digest -Original Chinese text of Sun Tzu Art of War.
- Chinese Poetry -Includes works by Wang Wei, Du Fu, Li Bai and others.
- Chinese Poetry Classics -links to Chinese poetry, some English
- Chinese Poem -Poems by Du Fu, Wang Wei, Li Bai and others in characters, pinyin and literal and literary English. Includes subject index.
- Song of Roses -A collection of poems by Vena Yin Sheng, presented in Chinese calligraphy and translated into English.
- Asian Topics: Tang Poetry -Articles on various aspects of the genre, including its forms and its relationship to everyday life, plus information on Du Fu, Li Bo and Wang Wei.
- China the Beautiful -cultural information and links, some English
- Chinese Music -links to download Chinese songs; titles are in English
- Wei Ming Magazine -online information on Chinese arts and literature, English version
- Chinese-art.com -Bi-monthly online magazine, covering traditional and contemporary art.
- New Chinese Art -Featuring a wide variety of modern art from throughout China such as paintings, prints, sculptures, woodcuts, photographs and installations.
- Bronzes of Ancient China -Brief history and images and information about Shang and Tang pieces collected and discussed by Werner Schmidlin.
- A Look at Chinese Painting -Examination of seven Chinese calligraphies and paintings from the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Tongram Online -Includes works by Tong Da-Nian, Guo Yi-Fang and Xu Zhi-Hai.
- Art Museum of The Chinese University of Hong Kong - Permanent collections and special exhibitions. Online galleries.
- Hong Kong Museum of Art - Features Chinese paintings and calligraphy, antiquities and works by local artists.
- University Museum and Art Gallery of the University of Hong Kong - Chinese antiquities, notably bronzes, ceramics and painting, and contemporary art. Online galleries.
- The Sanxingdui Museum - Guanghan, Sichuan - Bronzes, some gold clad, mostly heads and masks. Only English is in the photo captions.
- China the Beautiful -Fostering an appreciation of Chinese calligraphy.
- Art Exhibition Online, Hong Kong, a portfolio -Limited Edition abstract calligraphy created from original historical documents (China/Britain,1997 Hong Kong Handover). Lithographs by artist Pat Elliott Shircore.
- Chinavoc.com -Featured on Chinese calligraphy, with illustrated pictures about writing techniques, Chinese characters, writing styles and Four treasures of the study.
- Gallery Opus - Hong Kong art gallery, showing limited edition abstract calligraphy created from historical documents.
- Teaching Chinese Language and Calligraphy - Learning Chinese and calligraphy online or offline.
- Dr Xu, Zhi-Hai - Biography of award-winning artist, links to on line galleries of his seal and calligraphy work.
- Khoo Seow Hwa - Exhibitions of calligraphy and chop/carving artwork. Includes a photo of the artist and list of current publications.
- Introduction to Chinese calligraphy - Look at the great works of Chinese calligraphy and learn to appreciate it as an art.
- Chinese calligraphy - Brush calligraphy is an art unique to Asian cultures. Shu (calligraphy), Hua (painting), Qin (a string musical instrument), and Qi (a strategic boardgame) are the four basic skills and disciplines of the Chinese literati.
- NewsLink -Find links to newspapers covering most of China’s provinces, as well as the national Xinhua News Agency.
- China Informed - news on China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, in English.
- China- Times.com -Chinese business links, some English.
- Southern Chinese Daily News, Houston TX.
- SingTao -online daily news, USA edition.
- Asia Observer -Links page of news agency stories and background information.
- Xinhua News -News stories arranged by topic, with a searchable database.
- Intelligence Briefing -Links to Chinese news stories from assorted agencies.
- Gateway2China -Analysis and alternative perspectives on China-related topics and current events.
- The Voices of Chinese -Articles, reviews and forums, with links to news stories and MP3 audio.
- Exploring Chinese History - A detailed study of Chinese history, cultural heritage, news and images. Includes extensive geographical, bibliographical and biographical databases, image library.
- Scrapbook of the Cultural Revolution - Pictures from family photo albums of the period. Invites viewers to add their own interpretations of the images.
- China Timeline - A historical timeline and links to related sites.
- Center for Chinese Oral History - Information on the oral history of China through spoken memories and personal comments of historical information.
- Chinese History Notes - Covering the period from the Taiping rebellion to the Cultural Revolution.
- China 10k - Detailed information regarding the culture and people.
- China 7 BC - 1279 AD - A brief history of events during this period.
- CNN: Visions of China - Exploration of the five decades of Communist rule.
- Discovering China - Modern times through the cultural revolution.
- Silkroad Foundation - Information and resources about this historical trade route.
- Manchu Dynasty - Brief overview of events
- Shang Dynasty - Brief introduction from 1766-1121 B.C.
- Chinese Yahoo!
- The Chinese Historical Society of America
- Chinese/Asian Related Web Sites -This site more links that students will find helpful.
- Chinese Historical and Cultural Project
- China the Beautiful -award winning site containing comprehensive links on Chinese culture, some English.
- China Vista -comprehensive links on Chinese culture, business, and travel, English version available.
- Tsing Hua University - information regarding this university, English version available.
- Chinese Dynasties
- Chinese TV Station -audio and video software required.
- China.com - Whole site is in Chinese. It is about Chinese culture and traditions.
- Dao De Jing - Lao Tse
- City Weekend -Guides to life in Beijing and Shanghai, plus articles on Chinese news and culture.
Houston Area Chinese Community
- Chinese Community Center - Houston Chinese Community Center.
- Chinese Civic Center - facility is located at 10052 Harwin Drive, Houston. ... library; furnished rooms for community organization gatherings ... training spaces to many Chinese Cultural/Arts.