An affiliate of the CPM Program offered through Texas State University (the state coordinating entity), HSPA’s program began in 2010 and its first cohort graduated in June 2011.
The CPM Program's primary goal is to improve the performance of public sector managers and the organizational performance of federal, state, and local government employees.
The CPM program consists of seven tracks (courses) offered over a 14-21 month period with each of the seven courses meeting 1.5 days a month. The courses include personnel administration; managing for quality; organizational communication; public finance; productivity and program evaluation; information systems for managers; and an applied project practicum.
More applied than theoretical, the CPM Program serves as a valuable companion to the master of public administration (MPA) program offered by the University of Houston. Renée Cross directs HSPA’s program with the assistance of coordinator Diana Benitez. CPM instructors include traditional academics and successful practitioners including the following:
- Renée Cross, MLA, Associate Director, Hobby School of Public Affairs
- Arquella Hargrove, MBA, Human Resources Manager, Settlement Facility Dow Corning Trust
- Gautam Nayer, PHD, Assistant Professor, Texas Southern University
- Nicole Robinson, MBA, Digital Inclusion Project Director, City of Houston
- Mustafa Tameez, Managing Director, Outreach Strategists
- Jon Taylor, PHD, Chair, Department of Political Science, University of St. Thomas
- Claudia Williamson