Department of History
The University of Houston
524 Agnes Arnold Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3003
Doctor of Philosophy in History
- Overall 3.67 (A-) average on all graduate work attempted (for applicants to the M.A. to Ph.D. track) or overall 3.67 (A-) average on the last sixty (60) hours of undergraduate course credit (for applicants to the B.A. to Ph.D. track).
- A minimum of 18 hours in history or other relevant courses with a 3.67 (A-) average. The type of courses accepted will be at the discretion of the History Department. NOTE: Only twelve hours of course work taken as a Post Baccalaureate (PB) student may be counted toward the Ph.D. degree.
- Acceptable scores on the Verbal (typically in the range of 550 or better for the old exam and typically in the range of 156 or better for the new exam) and Analytical (typically 4.5 or better) sections of the Graduate Record Examination. A score of 550 or better on the old exam or 146 or better on the new exam on the Quantitative section of the GRE can be substituted for the score on the Analytical section. PLEASE NOTE: GRE scores are only one of several factors the department uses in admission decisions. Official score reports must be sent to the University of Houston from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). The INST Code for UH is 6870. GRE scores must be no older than five years at the time of application.
- The ability to demonstrate a reading proficiency in at least one foreign language before or during the first semester of residence in the Ph.D. program (See "Language Requirements" below).
- Letters of recommendation from three faculty members working in history or a related discipline familiar with the applicant’s academic abilities.
- A one- to two-page personal statement explicating the applicant’s academic interests is required. This document should provide an intellectual autobiography of the candidate, explain the candidate’s qualifications to study in her/his chosen area, and articulate the candidate’s proposed course of study.
- A writing sample that ideally demonstrates the candidate’s ability to research and evaluate primary source material while also engaging the historiography relevant to the topic of the paper.
- Two official transcripts from every college and university attended. Transcripts must be sent in a sealed envelope.
- University of Houston graduate application. Candidates who use the online application feature should download and send a paper copy of this application to the Department of History. International students should note that additional forms might be required.
- Department of History graduate application. Students must be sure to indicate on the departmental application form the track to which they are applying: the M.A. track, the B.A. to Ph.D. track, and the M.A. to Ph.D. track, and they must answer all questions relevant to that particular track.
- A $25.00 non-refundable application fee. The University of Houston accepts checks, money orders, and Visa and MasterCard credit cards. PLEASE NOTE: The Post-Baccalaureate (PB) application fee does not cover and cannot be applied toward the graduate application fee in History.