The Creative Writing Program
Department of English
College of Liberal Arts
and Social Sciences
University of Houston
229 Roy Cullen Building
Houston, TX 77204-5008
Phone: (713) 743-3015
Building on excellence in creative writing and a record of excellence in the student’s M.A. preparation in the broad range of English and American literature or M.F.A. preparation in creative writing and literature, the Ph.D. student in literature and creative writing should work toward increased sophistication as a writer/scholar. The Ph.D. student should also continue to strengthen and deepen an understanding of three areas of expertise: his/her specific genre, including the history of the genre and contemporary theoretical approaches to the genre; a historical period, rhetoric or literary theory; and a specific individualized area of inquiry. The career of a Ph.D. student should be marked by increasing independence in his/her creative writing and in thinking and writing about literature and/or literary theory. Working toward these objectives advances the student’s competence in writing the creative dissertation. The Ph.D. in Literature and Creative Writing constitutes solid preparation for creative publication, scholarly publication, and expert undergraduate and graduate teaching.
Prerequisites for Admission
- M.A. in English or M.F.A. in Creative Writing or a closely related field.
- 3.5 g.p.a. in graduate studies
- Studies in one foreign language (Student can complete this requirement while in residence.)
- GRE general test
Requirements of the Degree
- 45 hours of coursework
- Foreign language. Students must demonstrate reading knowledge of two foreign languages or intensive knowledge of one foreign language.
- 3 written comprehensive examinations
- 1 oral comprehensive examination
More information on the Ph.D. degree is available here.