- Phone: (713) 743-3907
- Email: email@example.com
- 222C Roy Cullen Building
Kevin Prufer is the author of several books of poetry, including Fallen from a Chariot (Carnegie Mellon, 2005), National Anthem (Four Way Books, 2008), In a Beautiful Country (Four Way Books, 2011), and Churches (Four Way Books, 2014). He has also edited numerous volumes, including New European Poets (Graywolf, 2008; w/Wayne Miller), New Young American Poets (Southern Illinois UP, 2000), and the forthcoming Into English (Graywolf, 2015; w/Martha Collins), and Literary Publishing in the 21st Century (Milkweed Editions, 2015; w/ Wayne Miller and Travis Kurokwsky). With Phong Nguyen and Wayne Miller, he curates the Unsung Masters Series, a book series devoted to bringing great out-of-print authors to new readers. He has received three Pushcart prizes, multiple Best American Poetry selections, and fellowships and awards from the Lannan Foundation, the National Endowment for the Arts, The Poetry Society of America, and the Academy of American Poets. At the University of Houston, he teaches courses in poetry writing and poetic forms. His personal web page can be found at www.kevinprufer.com.
- Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri. MFA, 1996.
- Hollins Graduate Writing Program, Roanoke,Virginia. MA, 1994.
- Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut. BA, 1992
Books: as Author
- Churches (New York: Four Way Books, 2014)
- In A Beautiful Country (New York: Four Way Books, 2011)
- National Anthem (New York: Four Way Books, 2008)
- Fallen from a Chariot (Pittsburgh: Carnegie Mellon University Press, 2005)
- The Finger Bone (Pittsburgh: Carnegie Mellon University Press, 2002)
- Strange Wood (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1998)
Books: as Editor
- Russell Atkins: On the Life and Work of an American Master, Edited with Michael Dumanis (Warrensburg & Rock Hill: Pleiades Press, 2013, as part of the Pleiades Unsung Masters Series.)
- Until Everything is Continuous Again: Essays on W. S. Merwin, Edited with Jonathan Weinert (Seattle: WordFarm Editions, 2012)
- Dunstan Thompson: On the Life and Work of a Lost American Master, Edited with D. A. Powell. (Warrensburg & Rock Hill: Pleiades Press, 2010, as part of the Pleiades Unsung Masters Series.)
- Contemporary American Poetry: A Bilingual Anthology (Islamabad, Pakistan: The Pakistan Academy of Letters, January, 2010.)
- New European Poets. Edited with Wayne Miller. (Minneapolis: Graywolf Press, 2008.)
- Dark Horses: Essays on Overlooked Poems. Edited with Joy Katz. (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2007)
- New Young American Poets (Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press, 2000)