Language and Culture Center
116 Roy Cullen Building
Houston, TX, USA 77204-3014
Services and Activities
The LCC program includes more than just classroom study. You will have many opportunities to mix informally with the LCC staff and American students. Specific services include:
- An expert staff dedicated to helping international students adjust to living and studying in the United States.
- Information on housing, both on and off campus.
- Complete access to the University of Houston library with over 1.8 million volumes.
- Access to the student health center on campus.
- Full access to the Recreation Center.
- Full access to the University Center, which offers indoor sports, cafeterias, a post office, travel agency, bookstore, computer store, hair-styling salon and barbershop, and other shopping opportunities.
We encourage you to arrange your own transportation from the airport. However, we can provide an airport pickup service on a limited basis with prior arrangements. You may call our office at (713) 743-3030 or send a fax (713) 743-3029 at least one week in advance of your arrival telling us of your flight number and arrival time and we will confirm if we are able to pick you up. You will be charged a $50.00 fee for this service. PLEASE NOTE: WE CANNOT PROVIDE AIRPORT PICKUP ON THE DAY OF CHECK-IN OR ANY DAY AFTER STUDENT CHECK-IN. IF YOU DESIRE AN AIRPORT PICKUP, PLAN TO ARRIVE IN HOUSTON NO LATER THAN TWO DAYS PRECEDING STUDENT CHECK-IN.
You can also arrange an airport pickup with the Super Shuttle services. Please go to their website to arrange a pickup. http://www.supershuttle.com/Default.aspx
You can ask at the airport about taxicab service and the Houston metro bus schedule. An express metro bus goes to downtown Houston.
The UH housing office close at 5:00 PM on weekdays and is closed on weekends. If you already have a dormitory reservation, it may be possible for you to arrange an after-hours check-in. Otherwise you can stay at the University Hilton Hotel, which is located on the university campus. Hotel reservation telephone: (713) 743-2471. Please contact the hotel for the cost per night.
Activities at the University of Houston include:
- Field trips organized by the LCC each semester to places of interest, such as the Houston Zoo, art and natural science museums, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, and the city of San Antonio.
- Over 200 student organizations on campus, reflecting a wide variety of interests.
- Tennis courts, gymnasiums, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, games rooms, and other athletic facilities on campus.
- A recreation center with several gyms and services. One gym is specifically designed for indoor soccer and roller hockey, with inset goals and rounded corners. The second gym area has two courts most of the time, though it is possible to convert it into a single court with about 2000 bleacher seats. The third gym area has three courts for use in basketball and volleyball. There are six racquetball courts and two squash courts.