Dr. Xiao earned her B.A. in 1996, Wuhan University, China; M.A. in 2003, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois; and Ph.D. in 2007, from the University of Kentucky. Special areas: Health Communication, health behavior change, HIV/STD prevention, drug use and abuse, organization communication.
- B.A., Wuhan University, China
- M.A., Southern Illinois University
- Ph.D., University of Kentucky
- 2011 Fall Grant-in-AID to Start New Research grant, CLASS
- New Faculty Research Fund, University of Houston (2008-2009)
- Xiao, Z., Mehrotra, P., & Zimmerman, R. (2011). Sexual Revolution in China: Implications for Chinese women and society. AIDS Care, Jun2011 Supplement, 23,105-12.
- Xiao, Z., Li, X., & Stanton, B. (2011). Perceptions of Parent-Adolescent Communication within Families: It’s a Matter of Perspective. Psychology, Health, & Medicine, 16(1), 53-65. One of the ten most downloaded Psychology, Health and Medicine articles in the year 2011.
- Xiao, Z., Palmgreen, P., Zimmerman, R., & Noar, S. (2010). Adapting and Applying a Multiple Domain Model of Condom Use to Chinese College Students. AIDS Care, 22(3), 332-338
- Xiao, Z. (2008). Sensation seeking and impulsivity: The direct and indirect effects on adolescent marijuana use. Journal of Substance Use, 13(6), 415-433.
- Stone, G., & Xiao, Z.W. (2007). Anointing a new enemy: The rise of anti-China coverage after the U.S.S.R.'s demise. The International Communication Gazette, 69(1), 91-108.
- Zeng, L., & Xiao, Z. (2011). Changing News Frames as a Pandemic Develops: Coverage of the 2009 H1N1 Flu in the Washington Post, presented at the annual AEJMC Conference in St. Louis, MO.
- Xiao, Z., & Noar, S. (2011). A Systematic Review of HIV Prevention Interventions in China. Presented at the 61st Annual Conference at International Communication Association, May 2011, Boston.
- Xiao, Z.W. (2010). “Sexual Initiation among Chinese College Students: The Role of Intrapersonal and Social Factors,” presented at International Communication Association, June 2010, Singapore.
- Xiao, Z. W. (2008). “Adapting and applying a Western-developed model of condom use to Chinese college students,” presented at International Communication Association, May 2008, Canada.
- Mehrotra, P., & Xiao, Z.W. (2008). Gender and personality factors as moderators in theory of planned behavior to test condom use intention: Implication for message design. Paper presented at the 94th NCA, San Diego, CA.
- 2011 FDIP award, University of Houston
- 2011 QEP award, University of Houston
- Kentucky Opportunity Fellowship (2006-2007)
- Dissertation Enhancement Award (2006-2007), University of Kentucky