- Ph. D. Communication, Northwestern University
- M. A. Communication, University of Houston
- B. A. History, University of Houston
- Awards: George M. Sargent Dissertation Award, Northwestern University
- 1997-present Professor, School of Communication, University of Houston.
- 1988-1997 Associate Professor, School of Communication, University of Houston.
- 1982-1988 Assistant Professor, School of Communication, University of Houston.
- Books Douglas, W. (forthcoming). The memory box: Television memories and the family experience. New Jersey: Hampton Press
- Book chapters Douglas, W. (2010). The American family on television. In B. Schord (Ed.), World families on television, pp.42-52. Verlag fur Socialwissenschaften. (Eds.), Television and the American Family, 229-246. Mahwah: New Jersey:
- Berger, C. R. & Douglas, W. (1982). Thought and talk: Excuse me but have I been talking to myself? In F. X. Dance (Ed.), Human communication theory (pp.42- 60). New York: Harper & Row.