Dr. Lee earned his BA at Chonnam National University in Korea; MA at Auburn University; and Ph. D. at the University of Texas at Austin. Teaching and research interests include organizational communication, group communication, intercultural communication, business and professional communication, public relations, and research methods. His research appeared in Management Communication Quarterly, Human Communication Research, Journal of Public Relations Research, Journal of Business Communication, and others. He is the leading scholar in human relationship development and maintenance in organizations.
- Ph. D. in Speech Communication, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, May 1993.
- MA in Speech Communication, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36830, August 1987.
- BA in English, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea, February 1985.
- Introduction to Communication Theory (COMM 1302-Face-to-Face, Online, Hybrid)
- Communication Research Methods (COMM 2300 - Face-to-Face, Online, Hybrid)
- Small Group Process (COMM 3352)
- Business and Professional Communication (COMM 3356)
- Leadership Communication in Organizations (COMM 3358)
- Organizational Communication (COMM 4355 - Face-to-Face, Hybrid)
- Intercultural Communication and Organizations (COMM 4357)
- Interviewing Principles and Practices (SPCM 4397)
- Seminar: Organizational Communication (COMM 6320)
- Organizational Communication Analysis (COMM 6321)
- Human Relationships in Organizations and Communication (COMM 6324)
- Relational Communication (COMM 6333)
- Intercultural Communication and Organizations (COMM 6325)
- Leadership Communication and Organizations (COMM 6326)
- Lee, J., Lim, J., & Heath, R. L. (2017, Online First). Coping with workplace bullying through NAVER: Effects of LMX relational concerns and cultural differences. International Journal of Business Communication.
- Heath, R. L., Lee, J., Palenchar, M. J., & Lemon, L. L. (2017, Online First). Risk communication emergency response preparedness: Contextual assessment of the protective action decision model. Risk Analysis. 1-12. DOI:10.1111/risa.12845
- Ning, Y., Xiao, Z., & Lee, J. (2017). Shareholders and managers: Who care more about corporate diversity and employee benefits? Journal of Management and Governance, 21, 93-118. DOI 10.1007/s10997-015-9335-z
- Lee, J., & Varon, A. L. (2016, Online first). Employee exit, voice, loyalty, and neglect in response to dissatisfying organizational situations: It depends on supervisory relationship quality. International Journal of Business Communication, 1-22, DOI: 10.1177/2329488416675839
- Kim, D. K., Kim, Y-C., Lee, J., Lee, J-S, Paek H-J, & So, J. (2016). Health communication in South Korea: Past, present, and future. Health Communication Research, 14, 1-27.
- Heath, R. L., & Lee, J. (2016). Chemical manufacturing and refining industry legitimacy: Reflective management, trust, precrisis communication to achieve community efficacy. Risk Analysis, 36, 1108-1124. DOI: 10.1111/risa.12504
- Kim, K., & Lee, J. (2015). Managing public relations via corporate blogs. Journalism and Mass Communication, 5(4), 159-169.
- Kim, S., & Lee, J. (2015). Dialogic qualities in corporate blogs: An exploratory study. Korean Corporation Management Review, 22(6), 1-16.
- Lee, J. (2016). Professional relationships and communication in South Korea. In G. Jian & G. Ray (Eds.), Communication and human relationships in East Asian Cultures: China, Japan, and Korea (pp. 223-254). Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- Shin, J., Lee, J., Park, J., & Kim, K. H. (2014). Past, present and future public relations in South Korea: Issues, work environments, and leadership (pp. 171-185). In B. K. Berger & J. Meng (Eds.), Public relations leaders as sensemakers: A global study of leadership in public relations and communication management. New York: Routledge.
- Kelley, L., Sheehan, K., Lee, J., & Ni, L. (Under contract to be completed by 2018). Principles of integrated strategic communication: Advertising, corporate communication, and public relations. Irvine, CA: Melvin & Leigh.
- Bowen, S. A., Heath, R. L., Lee, J., Painter, G., Agraz, F. J., McKie, D., & Toledano, M. (2006). The business of truth: A guide to ethical communication. San Francisco: IABC Research Foundation.
- Lee, J. (In press). Communication studies. In Robert L. Heath & Winni Johansen (Eds.), The International Encyclopedia of Strategic Communication. Wiley. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley. (6,000+ words)
- Lee, J., Lim, J., & Heath, R. L. (2017, Nov.). Workplace bullying: An examination of coping strategies from face-negotiation theory. Paper accepted for presentation at the annual meeting of National Communication Association, Dallas, TX. (International)
- Lee, J., Kim, S., & Kim, G. (2017, Nov.). Sequential mediating roles of general self-efficacy and health literacy in the relationship among education, health, and communication outcomes. Paper accepted for presentation at the annual meeting of National Communication Association, Dallas, TX. (International).
- Lee, J., Lim, J., & Heath, R. L. (2017, May). Coping with workplace bullying through NAVER: Effects of LMX relational concerns and cultural differences. Paper presented at the annual meeting of International Communication Association, San Diego, CA. (International).
- Lee, J. (2016, Nov). Assessing changes in managerial relationships in Korea. Paper presented at the annual meeting of National Communication Association (Co-sponsored by Korean American Communication Association & Chinese Communication Association), Philadelphia, PA. (International)
- Lee, J., & Jiang, F. (2016, Nov.). Inward and outward megaphoning of employee boundary spanning: Effects of leader-member exchange, organizational structure and cultural orientation. Paper presented at the annual meeting of National Communication Association, Philadelphia, PA. (International)
- Advisor to Houston Asian Times (Multicultural Weekly Newspaper)
Recent Awards and Honors
- Lee, J. (2017). Outstanding Research Award, Valenti School of Communication, Valenti Impact Awards, University of Houston.
- Lee, J. (2016). Certificate of Recognition (20 Years of Dedicated Service), University of Houston
- Lee, J. (2014). LMX Honor Role. 40th Anniversary of LMX Program.
- Lee, J. (2006). A recipient of Distinguished Alumnus Award. Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea.