Dr. Hojoon Choi (PhD, the University of Georgia) is an Assistant Professor in communication. His concentration is advertising and his primary research fields are advertising and health issues, especially food advertising and its relationship to obesity; advertising psychology; and crisis communication.
Dr. Choi’s research has been published in various leading advertising and health communication journals, including International Journal of Advertising, Journal of Health Communication, Journal of Marketing Communication, and Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising. Broad theoretical and quantitative research knowledge is his research strength, whereas comprehensive marketing communication knowledge underlies his teaching abilities.
In 2011, he won the American Academy of Advertising (AAA)’s Dissertation Competition and received the UGA Graduate School’s Dissertation Completion Award. In 2013, he received the Len Reid Graduate Student Research Award. Dr. Choi is currently a member of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) and the American Academy of Advertising (AAA). He was a competitive paper reviewer for the AAA 2011/2012 Annual Conferences.
- PhD, the University of Georgia, Athens
- MA, the University of Georgia, Athens
- BA, Hanyang University, Korea
- Principles of Advertising
- Digital Advertising and PR
- Choi, Hojoon, Kyunga Yoo, Tae-hyun Baek, Leonard N. Reid, & Wendy Macias (in press). “Presence and Effects of Health- and Nutrition-Related (HNR) Claims with Benefit-Seeking and Risk-Avoidance Appeals in Female-Oriented Magazine Food Advertisements.” International Journal of Advertising.
- Choi, Hojoon, & Jeffrey K. Springston (in press). “How to Use Health and Nutrition-Related (HNR) Claims Effectively on Food Advertising: Comparison of Benefit-seeking, Risk-avoidance, and Taste Appeals on Different Food Categories.” Journal of Health Communication.
- Choi, Hojoon, Hye-Jin Paek, & Karen W. King (2012). “Are Nutrient Content Claims Always Effective? Match-up Effects between Product Type and Claim Type in Food Advertising.” International Journal of Advertising, 31(2), 421-443.
- Choi, Hojoon, Hye-Jin Paek, Hye-jin Yoon, & Leonard N. Reid (2012). “How Do Advertisers Use Advertising Strategy on the Different Product Types? The Examination of Functional Matching and Involvement Concept in TV Advertising.” Journal of Marketing Communication, 18 (2), 91-111.
- Paek, Hye-Jin, Hojoon Choi, & Michelle R. Nelson (2010). “Product, Personality or Prose? Testing Functional Matching Effects in Advertising Persuasion.” Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, 32 (2), 11-26.
- Health Issues in Advertising
- Psychological Models of Consumer Information Processing
- Crisis Communication involving Negative Information
- Cultural Differences in Communication
Awards and Honors
- Len Reid Graduate Student Research Award, University of Georgia (2013)
- The Graduate School’s Dissertation Completion Award, University of Georgia (2013)
- Winner at AAA 2011 Doctoral Dissertation Competition (2011)