Professor Jowett earned his B.A. at York University, and his M.A. and Ph.D. at the University of Pennsylvania. Areas of research and teaching interest include: the history of communications and popular culture,propaganda studies, and the role of media in modern society
- B.A.: 1968, York University, Toronto - History.
- M.A.: 1971, University of Pennsylvania - History.
- Ph.D.: 1972, University of Pennsylvania - History.
- 2000 - Present: Professor, School of Communication, University of Houston.
- 2000 - 2004: Director, and Professor, School of Communication, University of Houston.
- PROPAGANDA AND PERSUASION, 5th ed. (With Victoria O'Donnell). Thousand Oaks, CA.: Sage Publications, 2012.
- READINGS IN PROPAGANDA AND PERSUASION: NEW AND CLASSIC STUDIES, Garth Jowett and Victoria O’Donnell, eds.. Thousand Oaks, CA.: Sage Publications, 2006.
- HOLLYWOOD GOES SHOPPING. David Desser and Garth Jowett, eds., Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2004.
- “Teaching Propaganda as Part of the Communications Curriculum.” 3 -hour Workshop, Speech Communication Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, 1989. (With Victoria O'Donnell).
- “Teaching Propaganda in the Speech Program.” 3-hour Workshop, Speech Communication Association Annual Meeting, Boston, 1987. (With Victoria O'Donnell).
- CHILDREN AND THE MOVIES: MEDIA INFLUENCE AND THE PAYNE FUND CONTROVERSY (with Ian Jarvie and Kathryn Fuller). New York: Cambridge University Press, 1996.
- MOVIES AS MASS COMMUNICATION, 2nd ed. (With James M. Linton). Thousand Oaks, CA.: Sage Publications, 1989.
- FILM: THE DEMOCRATIC ART: A SOCIAL HISTORY OF MOVIE-GOING IN AMERICA. Boston: Little, Brown and Company, 1976
- University of Houston Faculty Research Grant, 2006, $4,000.
- University of Houston Faculty Research Grant, 2002, $4.000.
- University of Houston Faculty Research Grant, 2000, $3,500.
Affiliations and Links
- Board member, Institute for Urban Communication, 2005 -
- President, Houston Media Source, 2004-2005.
- President, the Peter Zenger Foundation for Protection of the First Amendment, Houston, 1992.
- Vice President, Access Houston Cable Corporation. (This Board oversees the management of cable access channels in Houston), 1986-1988.
- Member and Past Chairperson, Publications Committee, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, 1979-1981.
- Founding Member, Canadian Communications Association.
- Former consultant to Unesco (Paris), Division of Development and Application of Communication