David B. McKinney retired in June 2011 as senior manager of communications for the U.S. Downstream businesses of Shell Oil Company, based in Houston. He joined Shell in 1980 and held assignments in the Midwest, East Coast and Southwest regions of the U.S.
A former newspaper reporter, McKinney earned a bachelor’s degree in liberal studies/journalism and a master’s degree in mass communications. He has taught at the university level as an adjunct since 1999 in the areas of mass communications, and PR management, campaigns and writing. He is a contributor to several communications textbooks.McKinney is accredited by both the Public Relations Society of America and International Association of Business Communicators. He was PRSA/Houston professional of the year in 2007 and the IABC/Houston communicator of the year in 2008.
- B.S. Liberal Studies/Journalism, Oregon State University
- M.S. Mass Communications, Southern Illinois University
- 1999-2002: LoneStar College (Tomball, TX)
- 2002-2011: University of Houston
- IABC/Houston communicator of the year in 2008.
- PRSA/Houston professional of the year in 2007