She earned her B.S. at Bemidji State University, her M.A. at Texas Tech University, and her Ph.D. at Indiana University. Research areas include the psychological and sociological effects of media consumption. Teaching areas include electronic news, media effects, and gender and media. She has published articles in Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly, Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media, Sex Roles, Mass Comm Review, and Southwestern Mass Communication Journal. Dr. Olson worked in radio and television news for six years as a reporter, producer, and on-air talent. She is the "voice" of the university's voice information processing system (V.I.P.) for student enrollment services. Dr. Olson currently serves as the Director of the Jack J. Valenti School of Communication.
- Doctor of Philosophy - Telecommunications, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Master of Arts - Telecommunications, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
- Bachelor of Science - Mass Communications, Bemidji State University, Bemidji, Minnesota.
- Undergraduate Courses: Media & Society, Electronic News, Advanced Electronic News, Gender &
- Media, Media Effects
- Graduate Courses: Research Methods, Media Effects
- Women’s Studies Program Faculty Affiliate
- General Research Areas: Media Effects and Gender Issues
- Hawes, W. & Olson, B. (2009). The Performer in the Mass Media: Connecting with Television and On-Line Audiences. 2nd ed. (Scottsdale, AZ: Holcombe Hathaway Publishers).
- Ferraro, C.D. & Olson, B. (2005). The diffusion of desktop technologies since 1991. Feedback, 46(5), 13-22.
- Stephens, M. with Olson, B. (2005). Broadcast News. (Belmont, CA: Wadsworth).
- Olson, B. (2004). Book review Palmer, E.L. & Young, B.M. (2003). The faces of televisual media: Teaching, violence, selling to children. Mass Communication & Society, 7(3), 388-390.
- Olson, B. (2001). Media effects research for public relations practitioners. In R. Heath (Ed.). Handbook of Public Relations (NY: Sage).
- Role of citizen journalists. Paper presented at the Broadcast Education Association national conference (April 23, 2006) Las Vegas, NV.
- Ferraro, C.D. & Olson, B. (2005). The diffusion of desktop technologies since 1991. Paper presented at the Broadcast Education Association national conference (April 23, 2005) Las Vegas, NV.
- Stark, T. & Olson, B. (2004). Framing and the New York Times coverage of the Holocaust. Paper accepted for presentation at the national Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication conference (August, 2004) Toronto, Canada.
- Olson, B. Women in administration. Paper presented at the meeting of the Broadcast Education Association (April 4, 2003). Las Vegas, NV.
- Bridges, D. & Olson, B. Degrees of debauchery: Six decades of campus life illustrated in film. Paper presented at the meeting of the Midwest Modern Language Association (Nov. 9, 2002). Minneapolis, MN.
Affiliations and Links
- Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication
- Broadcast Education Association