Applications for the Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program will be accepted September 1st until January 7 for the following fall. Once all the applications are collected (postmarked between September 1 and January 7), the admissions committee will begin their review for admittance to the Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program for the subsequent academic year.
This section is designed to provide information regarding studies in Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of Houston. The faculty, staff and students are proud of our academic and clinical offerings. Thank you for your interest in our program. We think you will enjoy your studies at UH.
- You must be accepted into the Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program through the University of Houston, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders (ComD) before you apply to the University. If you are not accepted into the Department, you will be un-enrolled from leveling courses. Be sure to provide current contact information on your material and include all previous names. The deadline for complete admission packets to be received by the department is January 7 for consideration for the subsequent academic year.
- Please click here for more information on applying to the Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program.
- Admission begins in the fall semester only. Applications will be accepted from September 1 through January 7.
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.8 is required to be considered for admission.
- Materials to be submitted with the initial application to the PB Leveling Program:
a. TRANSCRIPTS: One official transcript from each institution attended (INCLUDING UH, if you took undergraduate courses at UH). These must be received in a sealed envelope with a stamped seal across the envelope flap. The transcript (or transcripts) must be included with the application.
b. PERSONAL STATEMENT: A personal statement that describes your interests, relevant activities and any other pertinent information. Please keep to 1-2 pages long. Be sure to provide current contact information on your material and include all previous names.
c. GRE SCORES: GRE scores will be accepted up to 5 years after the test was taken. The institution code for the University of Houston Main Campus (UH University Park) is 6870, and the department code is 0620.
d. INFORMATION SESSION ATTENDANCE: Attendance at an Information Session is required. Click here for session dates and locations.
e. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS STATEMENT: The signed Eligibility Requirements & Essential Functions statement
f. FEE: A $50.00 non-refundable processing fee made out to UH COMD. Please click here for more information on applying to the Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program.
- Mail materials to:
Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program Admissions
100 Clinical Research Services
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-6018
The Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program curriculum is not a degree granting program. You will not obtain a second Bachelor's degree. You will be eligible to apply to a graduate program in Communication Sciences and Disorders (ComD). The prerequisites required in our leveling program are designed to prepare you for the UH graduate program in ComD. Other graduate programs may have different requirements. The UH Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program curriculum consists of three semesters.
Listed below are critical aspects of the Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program that you need to be aware of:
1. You must begin in the Fall semester.
2. All of the courses are offered during the daytime. If you work during the day, you will need to adjust you work schedule to accommodate your classes.
3. The Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program does not lead to the attainment of the Texas State Teaching Certificate (additional coursework is required). The Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program does not lead to the attainment of a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant License (additional experience is required).
4. The Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program does not provide a license for a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (additional clinical training is required). See information about the UH Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA) Certificate Program by clicking here.
5. Completion of the Post Baccalaureate leveling course sequence does NOT guarantee admission into the graduate program. Graduate admission is highly competitive. A limited number of students are admitted annually.
6. The minimum unconditional admission requirements to the graduate school are:
- 3.0 grade point average in the last 60 hours of study
- 3.0 grade point average in all ComD courses
If you have any further questions, you may contact the Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program Coordinator, Ms. Laura Cizek by e-mail or call her at 713-743-2683.
Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program Advisor Contact Information:
Post Baccalaureate Leveling Program Advisor
Department of Communication
Sciences and Disorders
100 Clinical Research Services Center
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-6018