- Ph.D., University of Toronto, Major: Speech-Language Pathology
- M.S., Universidad del Valle, Colombia, Major: Bilingual Education
- B.S., Universidad del Valle, Colombia, Major: Speech-Language Pathology
Language Development (COMD 2339)
Theories and descriptions of typical development of language from infancy through adolescence.
Dr. Castilla-Earls' current research is oriented to a) find grammatical markers of language impairments that are accurate and stable across various levels of bilingual proficiency, b) examine current assessment practices in monolingual and bilingual children, and c) promote the systematic use of research-based practices in clinic and educational settings.
- 2014- 2017 R15 National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), National Institute of Health, 1R15DC013670-01A1 Title: Evidence-Based Clinical Diagnosis of Specific Language Impairments in Spanish-Speaking Children
2016-20121 K23 National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), National Institute of Health, K23DC015835 Title: Differentiating First Language Loss from Language Impairment in Bilingual Children
- Castilla-Earls, A., & Fulcher-Rood, K. (2018) Convergent and divergent validity of the grammaticality and utterance length instrument. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research 1-14.
- Barragan, B., Castilla-Earls, A., Restrepo, M.A., & Nieto, L. (2018) Performance of low income Spanish-speaking children in English-only schools on the CELF-4 Spanish. Language, Speech and Services in the Schools. 1-14.
- Castilla-Earls, A. Perez-Leroux, A.T., Restrepo, M. A., Gail, D., & Chen, Z. (2016). The Complexity of the Spanish Subjunctive in Bilingual Children with SLI. Language Acquisition.
- Castilla-Earls, A., Restrepo, M. A., Perez-Leroux, A.T., Gray, S., Holmes, P., Gail, D. & Chen, Z. (2015). Interactions between Bilingual Effects and Language Impairment: Exploring Grammatical Markers in Spanish-Speaking Bilingual Children. Applied Psycholinguistics.
- Castilla-Earls, A.P., Peterson, D., Spencer, T. & Hammer, K. (2015). Narratives and story grammar development in preschool Spanish-speaking children. Early Education and Development, 0, 1-21.
- Ripoll, J.C., Aguado, G., & Castilla-Earls, A.P. (2014). Systematic review on the SVR model. Revista de Logopedia, Foniatria y Audiologia, 17-31.
- Pérez-Leroux, A.T., Pirvulescu, M., Roberge, Y. & Castilla-Earls, A.P. (2014). On the Development of Null Implicit Objects in L1. Canadian Journal of Linguistics, 443-464.
- Castilla-Earls, A.P. & Eriks-Brophy, A. (2012). Developmental language measures in Spanish-speaking children. Revista de Logopedia, Foniatria y Audiologia, e7-e19.
- Perez-Leroux, A.T. & Castilla-Earls, A.P., Massam, D., & Bejar, S. (2012) Elmo’s sister’s ball: Nominal recursion as a measure of language complexity. Language Acquisition: A Journal of Developmental Linguistics, 301-311.
- Pérez-Leroux, A.T., Castilla-Earls, A.P. & Bruner, J. (2012). General and specific effects of lexicon in grammar: Determiner and object pronoun omission in child Spanish. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research, 313-327.
- Castilla, A.P. & Perez-Leroux, A.T (2010). Omissions and Substitutions in Early Spanish Clitics. Journal of Language Acquisition, 2-25.
- Restrepo, M.A., Castilla, A.P. Schwanenflugel, P., Pritchett, S., Hamilton, C. & Arboleda, A. (2010) Sentence length, complexity and growth in Spanish-speaking children attending English-only and bilingual preschool programs. Language, Speech and Hearing Services in Schools, 3-13.
- Castilla, A.P., Restrepo, M.A. & Perez-Leroux, A.T. (2009). Individual differences and language interdependence in Spanish-English bilingual children. International Journal of Bilingualism, 1-16.
Castilla, A. P. (2009). Morphosyntactic Acquisition in monolingual 3-, 4-, and 5-year-old Spanish-speaking children. In V. Marrero & I. Pinera (Eds.) Linguistics: The Challenge of Clinical Application. Proceedings of the II International Conference on Clinical Linguistics. Euphonia Ediciones: Madrid, Spain.
- Restrepo M. A. & Castilla A. P. (2007) Language elicitation considerations in the study of language skills of Latino children with language disorders. In J. G. Centeno, L. K. Obler & R. Anderson (Eds.) Communication Disorders in Spanish Speakers: Theoretical, Research and Clinical Aspects.
2015 Grant Review and Reviewer Training Fellow, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
2013 Lessons for Success Fellow, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
2012 Clinical Practice Research Institute Fellow, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
2006 Student Research Travel Award, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
2003 Doctoral Scholarship, American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation
2003 Minority Student Travel Award, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association