Comparative Cultural Studies
University of Houston
232 McElhinney Building
4800 Calhoun Road
Houston TX 77204-5020
Phone: (713) 743-2474
Dr. Thomas Behr
Ms. Tamara Cobb,
Phone: (713) 743-2474
FAX (713) 743-8346
What are Liberal Studies?
Liberal studies, or the study of the liberal arts, is an approach to a well-rounded education developed in ancient Greece and handed down through Roman, European Medieval and Renaissance civilizations to modern times. These "arts," or skills, were called "liberal" because they were believed to be the educational foundation for free, self-governing people (from Latin libertas for liberty).
Study of the liberal arts, through reading great books in history, literature, philosophy and science, has been the common heritage of educated persons in the Western world, from Plato and Aristotle, through Augustine and Dante, to Newton and Einstein and up to today. An interdisciplinary, liberal education offers you the reading, reasoning and communication skills to thrive in a broad range of career contexts and to pursue life-long learning.
What can you do with a B.A. in Liberal Studies?
- With the B.A. in Liberal Studies you can go straight into the corporate world where business leaders are looking for employees and managers who can think critically and creatively, and who can write well.
- With the B.A. in Liberal Studies you can go into a wide range of private sector (including non-profit organizations) or public sector (government) careers.
- The B.A. in Liberal Studies can help prepare you for a career in primary or secondary school teaching.
- As a foundation for graduate or professional school, the B.A. in Liberal Studies can prepare you to do well in your chosen field for just about any Ph.D., as well as for law school (J.D.), medical school (M.D.), or business school (M.B.A.). The best graduate and professional schools are interested in students with a liberal arts undergraduate background.
The Liberal Studies major can set you apart, and set you up for taking control of your own educational and professional pursuits.
Why do the B.A. in Liberal Studies at UH?
There are two great reasons to pursue Liberal Studies at UH:
- The unique structure of the Liberal Studies degree program in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.
- And the world-class faculty and resources of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and of UH as a whole.
As a Liberal Studies major, instead of the traditional degree program that involves a major and a minor, you will complete the requirements for three minors. One of your minors can even come from outside the College of Liberal Arts and Social sciences, upon approval by the Director and the Dean's office.
The great range of programs available and the award-winning strength of the faculty are great reasons to do your Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies at the University of Houston.