Frequently Asked Questions

Director of Liberal Studies Dr. Behr held orientation Q&A sessions with about 50 students total this semester as students are approaching the new Practicum requirement for graduation. The Practicum options (study abroad, internship, thesis) give students an excellent credential and distinction on their resumé no matter what direction their LS degree takes them: job market, professional or graduate school.


Q: If I make Liberal Studies my major, how do I decide which minors to do? Show/hide answer »

A: The minors you choose to make your B.A. in Liberal Studies will depend on your personal interests and professional goals. You should plan on meeting with the Academic Advisor for Liberal Studies or with the Director of Liberal Studies to discuss your program as soon as you think you may want to do the Liberal Studies degree.

Q: Do all three of my minors for the Liberal Studies B.A. have to come from the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences? Show/hide answer »

A: Up to one of your minors may be from outside the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, based on petition and approval by the Director of Liberal Studies and the Office of the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. The minor in Global Business from the Bauer College of Business is pre-approved for inclusion in a Liberal Studies degree. Other minors from the colleges of Business, Education, Natural Sciences and Mathematics, or Technology, for instance, are eligible for inclusion, based on petition as indicated.

Q: Can I use Women′s Studies as one of the minors for Liberal Studies? Show/hide answer »

A: Students may use one minor from an inter-disciplinary program, such as Women′s Studies, African American Studies, Hispanic Studies, etc. (i.e. programs that do not offer majors) with the condition, that applies in all cases, that credits from that minor may not be used to satisfy requirements in either of their two other minors.

Q: What kind of minors would make good combinations? Show/hide answer »

A: The possibilities depend only on you and your goals. You can combine minors in History, English and Classics for instance for a well-rounded Humanities degree. You could combine Anthropology, Sociology and Psychology for a powerful social science orientation. You could combine Political Science, History, and Classics, or, perhaps English, Economics, and Philosophy as great pre-law degrees. Or how about History, Political Science, and Economics for going into secondary education in social studies? Or if you want to go into secondary foreign language instruction, you might choose German, French, and English or History. With the option of using a minor from outside of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, the sky is really the limit on tailoring a degree to compliment your goals. With all these options, you should work closely with the Liberal Studies Academic Advisor and with the Liberal Studies Director, as well as with the Academic Advisors in your three minor programs

Q: Do I have to do a minor in Business to go to graduate school for an MBA? Show/hide answer »

A: The trend of many MBA programs, here at UH and across the country, is in favor of incoming students with a well-rounded Liberal Arts education. The first year of MBA studies at many schools provide all the foundation in Economics and Accounting that the degree requires. Be sure to check with the specific MBA program you have in mind for their particular entrance requirements and preferences.

Q: What is the Liberal Studies Practicum requirement, and how do I complete it? Show/hide answer »

A: The Practicum requirement for the Liberal Studies degree is meant to complement your degree program with a powerful, job-market-valuable experience that will distinguish your degree and give you a competitive edge in your career. There are three options for completing the Practicum requirement, each of which requires enrollment in a UH credit-bearing course, which may or may not be part of one of your minor requirements. The Study Abroad option can be through any approved UH faculty-led course abroad, for which there are many options. The Research Project option must be for an existing designated capstone course identified as such in the UH catalogue or website, or for an Honors thesis. The Internship option may be with either a commercial or non-profit concern with an established internship program. The approval process for these options are to be submitted to the Director of Liberal Studies before the start of a semester in which the relevant course is to be offered.

Practicum Application Form | Practicum Internship