University of Houston
233 McElhinney Hall
Houston, TX 77204-5020
Dr. Anjali Kanojia
Phone: (713) 743-3935
Phone: (713) 743-3783
252C McElhinney Hall
Connect with us on Facebook
Jon Keune is the Sushila and Durga Agrawal Postdoctoral Fellow in India Studies. He has come to us from the Centre for Modern India Studies at the University of Goettingen (Germany), having received a PhD in Religion from Columbia University. His research focuses on religion, cultural history, and historiography, mainly in the western area of India where Marathi is spoken but also with a comparative glance to early modern Europe. Jon is currently working on a book manuscript about the changing memories of Hindu devotional traditions in relation to caste hierarchy and spiritual equality.
Jon also manages the website of the Maharashtra Studies Group.
- "Matthias Christian Sprengel's Writings on India (1783-1801): a "Disenchanted" and Forgotten Orientalism." in Deploying Orientalism, edited by James Hodkinson. Rochester: Camden House, 2013 forthcoming.
- "Vārkarīs in Rural Western India." in Contemporary Hinduism, edited by P. Pratap Kumar, 148-161. Durham: Acumen Publishing, 2013.
- "Eknāth." Brill Encyclopedia of Hinduism, vol.4, edited by Knut Axel Jacobsen, 218-226. Leiden: Brill, 2012.
- (with Christian Novetzke) "Jñāndev." Brill Encyclopedia of Hinduism, vol.4, edited by Knut Axel Jacobsen, 258-264. Leiden: Brill, 2012.
- (with Christian Novetzke) "Vārkarī." Brill Encyclopedia of Hinduism, vol.3, edited by Knut Axel Jacobsen, 617-626. Leiden: Brill, 2011.
- “Bhārat āṇi Dharmaviṣayak Abhyās” (“India and the Academic Study of Religion”, in Marathi) Pratiṣṭhān. 58:1 (2010): 32-39.
- "Gathering the Bhaktas in Marāṭhī." Journal of Vaishnava Studies (2007): 169-187.
- "The Inter- and Intra-Religious Conversions of Nehemiah Nilakantha Goreh." Journal of Hindu-Christian Studies 17:1 (2004): 45-54.