Comparative Cultural Studies
University of Houston
233 McElhinney Building
4800 Calhoun Road
Houston TX 77204-5020
tel (713) 743-3987
fax (713) 743-3798
The Department of Comparative Cultural Studies offers degree programs in Anthropology, Religious Studies, India Studies, Liberal Studies, and a number of interdisciplinary minors in the comparative study of cultures worldwide.
CCS provides students with the foundation for a wide range of careers in education, research, media, business, government, and the professions. Our students gain the knowledge and skills to become effective readers, thinkers, and leaders in the global workplace and in local communities.
Goals of Comparative Cultural Studies
- to provide the skills and knowledge to understand and work in cross-cultural and global contexts;
- to provide students with the disciplinary vocabularies to work in the intricate networks that define cultural production worldwide;
- to compare cultures from diverse disciplinary perspectives;
- to consider the universals of culture, as well as practices and belief systems unique to particular cultures;
- to inspire, promote, and develop visual literacy and cultural understanding through the comparative study of two or more intellectual, visual, and/or performative traditions.