College of Liberal Arts
and Social Sciences
The University of Houston
402 Agnes Arnold Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3000
CLASS Diversity Statement
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS) at the University of Houston, with one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation, commits to fostering diverse, inclusive, and excellent learning and work environments for all students, faculty, and staff. The College’s ability to provide a fair and open learning community marked by mutual respect and appreciation through equitable treatment for all is foundational to its success in its teaching and research missions, and in maintaining its standing among Tier One institutions of higher education. Our diversity strengthens us.
Our goals include:
- Providing an outstanding education for all CLASS undergraduate and graduate students, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, socioeconomic status, national origin, family structure or disability
- Recruiting, retaining and fostering a diverse faculty and staff
- Recruiting, retaining and fostering diverse graduate and undergraduate students
- Preparing all our students, staff and faculty to thrive personally and professionally in a diverse and interconnected global environment
- Enhancing the campus climate for inclusion
The College’s efforts in these respects are supported by the CLASS Diversity Committee, which advises the Dean and the College in the promotion, documentation, and evaluation of CLASS diversity efforts, especially in underrepresented areas.
The University of Houston has been recognized as both a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian-American Serving Institution by the U.S. Department of Education Office of Postsecondary Education. We are one of only three Tier One HSIs in the nation and the sole Tier One HSI in Texas.
We invite you to explore the rich diversity of ideas, people, and resources in our College and at the University of Houston!