Frequently Asked Questions

Campus Life

How can I get involved on campus?
There are multiple opportunities and resources for UH students to get involved. You can get involved in over 450 student organizations through the Center for Student Involvement, participate in intramural sports through the UH Campus Recreation & Wellness Center, study with classmates through Learning Support Services, or attend programs hosted on campus by the Student Programming Board. Getting involved in an area of your interest is a key way to meet people and feel a part of campus life!

How do I find out about campus events?
Check your email! Each week (every other week during the summer) you will receive CoogNews, an electronic newsletter that provides students a brief synopsis of campus information, news, and events. The Daily Cougar, the official newspaper of UH, also offers great information about what's happening on campus and, lastly, you can take a look at a variety of department and college calendars, listing their specific events, here.

Is there a place on campus I can go for spiritual activities?
The A.D. Bruce Religion Center  is the on-campus interfaith center that promotes religious and spiritual activities. It is a bustling center of many ongoing educational programs and activities focusing on religious issues. The center provides office space and facilities for 11 charter campus ministries.

Where can I get help with finding a job or building my resume?
University Career Services offer a wide range of programs and services that will help you reach your career goals including resume critiques, mock-interviews, and career exploration. Also, some of the academic colleges offer career services for their majors. Please talk to your college advisor to determine the resources are available to you within your specific college.

Where can I eat on campus?
The University Center Satellite, located in the middle of campus, is home to a variety of retail dining locations including Starbucks, Chick-Fil-A and Taco Bell. UH Dining Services offers two dining halls: the Fresh Food Company in Moody Towers or the Real Food on Campus in Cougar Woods. The University Center has several food trucks from around Houston on to campus to serve you, such as Bernie's Burgers and The Waffle Bus! The trucks will be located on a patio outside of the UC, and will accept Cougar Cash (money you can put on your school ID), credit cards and cash. For additional information please see the Dining Services Food Location Map.

Can my family/friends who are not UH students come to UH sports events?
Athletic tickets can be purchased online from the Athletics Department through the University of Houston Ticket Center. Students may also purchase student guest tickets for their family and/or friends to come to a UH sporting event. For information on ticket information please contact (713) 462-6647 or email at

How can I get involved in intramural sports?
Intramural Sports provides an opportunity for the students to participate in over 27 activities for both individual and team sports. The Sport Clubs Program consists of recognized student organizations that are established to promote and develop common sport and/or recreation related interest. The club exists to promote and develop skills, engage in competition, encourage peer leadership, and enjoy the recreational and social fellowship of a specific sport. For more information on Campus Recreation please contact (713)743-7519 or email at

Health & Wellness

I was sick and had to miss several classes. What should I do?
You should immediately contact your instructor and let him/her know about your absences due to illness. It is up to the discretion of your instructor if you will be excused from class.

Where can I go to seek medical attention on campus?
The UH Health Center offers affordable and accessible general medical services as well as several specialty clinics, laboratory and pharmacy. More information.

What should I do if I am feeling anxious/stressed/depressed?
Please take time and visit the Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS). A variety of individual and group counseling sessions are available, as well as many additional services for students.