What is the Fraternal Excellence Program?
The Fraternal Excellence Program is an effort by the University of Houston Fraternity and Sorority Community to integrate the core principles of fraternity/sorority membership into our campus‐based awards and assessment program. This initiative was a response to a joint effort from college and university presidents and the national governing councils (NPHC, NIC, NPC, and NALFO) to advocate for an assessment process that would unify the goals and values of the all fraternities and sororities as identified in A Call for Values Congruence (2005). These core values represent not only the learning goals of the chapters and each individual member but also of the university and its commitment of providing meaningful experiences outside the classroom.
How does this process work?
It is both an assessment and awards process. The Fraternal Excellence Program is designed to allow chapters to critically think about their successes and challenges in direct cooperation with the core values of their organization. Specifically, through narrative responses and character interviews, chapters can assess their organization and evaluate progress – specifically how well the chapter is meeting its organizational goals and stated purpose. It is an awards process because the fraternity/sorority community leaders seek to recognize chapters for their progress in each of the areas.
Participants should view this as a process through which the activities, mission, goals and objectives of the chapter are clarified, and any necessary improvements implemented. This feedback is important as it addresses the purpose of the initiative, i.e. to assist chapters to improve their goals and integrate core values. Please see additional pages for the specific recognition areas and expectations of what should be done throughout the process.
Who do I contact if I have any questions?
If any questions should arise please contact Jason Bergeron, the Director of the Center for Fraternity & Sorority Life. In your email please write "Fraternal Excellence Program: Chapter Name" in the subject line.
Fraternal Excellence Program assessment & awards areas
- Brotherhood and Sisterhood Development: Chapter will foster brotherhood and sisterhood amongst all Greek-letter organizations. Chapter will respect the dignity of people while embracing the free exchange of ideas and beliefs. Chapter will educate and promote healthy lifestyles.
- Ritual and Values: Chapter will instill the values of their organization fraternity/sorority community, and the University of Houston. Chapter will be responsible for its actions and recognize the implications in their Greek and campus communities.
- Leadership Development: Chapter will encourage values-based leadership development and promote/facilitate leadership opportunities for its members.
- Intellectual Development: Chapter will develop and maintain a scholarship program for its members that will enhance their academic success.
- Service & Citizenship: Chapter will recognize the importance of serving the community and gain an understanding of social issues facing their communities.
In addition to these five assessment areas, chapters that demonstrate excellence in multiple areas will be eligible for overall recognition of achievement.
- Fraternity/Sorority Award of Distinguished Excellence
Chapters who receive excellence in five (5) areas.
- Fraternity/Sorority Award of Distinguished Achievement
Chapters who receive excellence in four (4) areas.
- Fraternity/Sorority Award of Distinction
Chapters who receive excellence in three (3) areas.