Representation, 21st Century Responsibilities in the Performing Arts Panel Discussion
Friday, March 31, 2017
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Asia Society Texas Center hosts a panel discussion and public conversation, moderated by Sixto Wagan, director of UH Center for Art & Social Engagement (CASE). The panel uses the lens of Asian and Asian American identity to surface ideas of representation, voice and creative interpretation. The panel and conversation will discuss recent trends, organizational realities, audience reactions and items for future action such as:
- When is cultural heritage open to interpretation or utilization in metaphor?
- What are whitewashing and yellowface?
- In what ways do creative license and practical realities in artistic decision making conflict with concerns of cultural appropriation?
- How can arts organizations provide historical and creative context that addresses their multiple publics?
- What is the role of critique in this conversation?
- How do Houston’s arts leaders respond to an increasingly vocal community that demands fair representation?
- Pia Agrawal, Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts
- Ryan Speedo Green, Houston Grand Opera
- Shih-Hui Chen, Shepherd School of Music, Rice University
- Patrick Summers, Houston Grand Opera
- Steven Wu, Houston Asian American Pacific Islander (HAAPI) Film Festival
- Asia Society / 1370 Southmore Blvd Houston, TX 77004
- UH Center for Art & Social Engagement