The internal innovation ecosystem at UH strategically integrates five major domains:
- Federally funded basic research;
- Public-private partnerships involving sponsored research projects, joint investments in technology development, or manufacturing partnerships;
- IP protection and technology transfer support;
- Support infrastructure that includes the Energy Research Park (ERP) location at UH, internal funding for technology development and mentorship; and
- Tools for enabling entrepreneurs and innovators, including entrepreneurial education, programming, opportunities for innovators across disciplines to interact, and recognition and celebration of shared successes.
The ultimate and explicit goal is to enhance the transition of innovations created by fundamental and applied research to the enduser and the marketplace.