Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser is a secure browser for taking exams in Blackboard Vista. It prevents you from printing, copying, visiting websites, or accessing other applications during an assessment. If an exam requires that the Respondus LockDown Browser needs to be used, you must install Respondus LockDown Browser prior to taking the exam. The exam will not be accessible with a standard web browser.
The Respondus LockDown Browser provides a custom interface for the Internet Explorer (Windows) or Safari (Macintosh) software that is already installed on the computer. It does not modify an existing copy of Internet Explorer or Safari, but rather, installs a separate program that displays a custom browser when it is started. Respondus LockDown Browser uses the same security features and service packs that are currently installed for Internet Explorer or Safari. Installing Respondus LockDown Browser will not modify your current version of Internet Explorer or Safari in any way.
To download and install Respondus LockDown Browser, follow these steps:
1) Open the link to the exam requiring the Respondus LockDown Browser, click on the “Download Information” link to install the browser for the first time. (Note: the “Begin Assessment” button will be disabled if any browser other than Respondus LockDown Browser is being used. In addition, the following message will be displayed: “You must complete this assessment using the Respondus LockDown Browser.”)
2) Next, you will be asked to select the operating system for the computer you are installing the Respondus LockDown Browser. (Note: For this guide, the Window’s Operating system is selected.)
3) You will then select “Your Own Computer”.
4) Read and follow the steps of the next screen. Once the Respondus LockDown Browser is installed, you will not have to install it again for future examinations in any Blackboard Vista course you take during the semester.
To Take an Exam in the Respondus LockDown Browser
Once installed, follow these steps to start Respondus LockDown Browser to take an exam.
1) Close all programs on your computer.
2) Start Respondus LockDown Browser.
For Windows users, locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop
and double-click it. Alternatively, click “Start” in Windows, select “Programs,” select “Respondus,” and then click “Respondus LockDown Browser.”
(For Macintosh users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.)
3) Upon starting, you may have to select the Blackboard Vista server among the choices of Blackboard Vista, Webct Vista, or Zap.
4) The browser will go to the login page for Blackboard Vista.
A warning message may appear indicating that one or more applications must first be exited, such as an instant messaging application. The browser will offer to close the applications for the user. Alternatively, the browser can be exited and the blocked application can be closed manually before restarting the browser.
5) Log into Blackboard Vista by entering your user Blackboard Vista ID and Password. Select the appropriate course and then select the exam.
6) Click the “Begin Assessment” button to continue.
Once the exam has been started, you will be unable to exit the exam until the “Finish” button is clicked.