Tornado warning and alert app available to UH community
The University of Houston
Emergency Management Bureau wants to share a new application
with the campus community.
Get your family and home ready for a tornado with the official
Tornado App from the American Red Cross. The tornado warning app
puts everything you need to know to prepare for a tornado – and
all that comes with it – in the palm of your hand. With
interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice, it’s never
been easier to be ready.
From your mobile phone, call "**REDCROSS" (**73327677) and
receive a link to download the app to a phone, or download it
directly from the
Google Play app stores.
- Simple step-by-step instructions to help you know what to do
even if the cell towers and TVs are down. Prioritized actions
for before, during and after a tornado requires no mobile
- Audible siren that automatically goes off even if app is
closed when NOAA issues a tornado warning helping to reduce the
chance of sleeping through an actual warning.
- Push notification sent when a warning expires – especially
important if power goes out while you or your family are in your
- Help distant friends and family in tornado alley with the
ability to receive tornado watch and warning alerts based on
their location from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
- Red Cross location-based open shelters map for when you need
- Be ready should a tornado hit by learning how to assemble an
emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or
- Reduce your household’s stress and anxiety should a tornado
hit by learning to make and practice an emergency plan.
- Preloaded content means you have instant access to all safety
information at any time, even without reception or an Internet
- Interactive quizzes allow you to earn badges that you can
share with your friends and show off your tornado knowledge.
- Know how many tornadoes have occurred in your area.
- Know the difference between a tornado warning and a tornado
- Learn how to deal with food and water impacted by floods and
- Simply let friends/family know you’re safe with customizable
“I’m Safe” notification sharable thru social media, text and
- Let others know where you are with the Toolkit’s stobe light,
flashlight and audible alert functions.