Sustainability Course Identification Form
Please submit the information below to
include your college’s sustainable
courses on the Sustainability Course
How Do I Know If A Course Is Sustainable?
The goal of sustainability education is to provide
students, regardless of their courses of study, the
tools and skills with which they can make decisions
in their personal lives and careers that will help
create a healthy economy, society, and environment.
In order to determine whether or not a course has
this goal in mind, it is useful to ask whether or
not a given course will help students to achieve one
or more of the following.
• Understand and be able to effectively communicate
the concept of sustainability.
• Develop and use an ethical perspective in which
they view themselves as embedded in the fabric of an
• Become aware of and explore the connections
between their chosen course of study and
• Develop technical skills or expertise necessary to
implement sustainable solutions.
• Understand the way in which sustainable thinking
and decision-making contributes to the process of
creating solutions for current and emerging social,
environmental, and economic crises.
• Contribute practical solutions to real-world
• Synthesize understanding of social, economic, and
environmental systems and reason holistically.
A course does not have to accomplish all of these
things to be designated as sustainability-related or
Campus Community Garden
Subscribe to the Green UH Listserv to receive notices of campus green events.
Volunteer opportunities are available to help Green UH.
to get involved!